Saying thanks to our Troops

This one is a free-for-all fun forum. Keep the conversation civil though!
locokarma
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member
First Name: Tracy
Last Name: Wilson
TK Number: 9612

Saying thanks to our Troops

Post by locokarma »

Regardless of how one feels about war, our soldiers do protect us and give us the right to act the way we do. This is not about politics. It's about saying thank you. Freedom is not free.

Feel free to pass it on.

http://www.gratitudecampaign.org/fullmovie.php

:D
Tracy Wilson- TB9612
Diamond Garrison
Twitter: @TD9612
standtrooper
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Orr
TK Number: 2030

Post by standtrooper »

To this day it is still weird for someone to approach me and say thank you. I reply with a standard "you're very welcome" and yet it never seems like enough. Saying thank you to a soldier, sailor, marine or airman is your choice. I, however, will tell you I don't need it in my life -- you may call me a liar because some days I do. Some days I forget that I enlisted 15 years ago because, to me, the greatest thing I could give my country is my service... and the greatest thing I could ever give to the people of this country is my life defending her. It is easy to get lost in politics, it is easier to forget politics when you're activated four times in a year because of a declaration of "State of Emergency" by the Governor. The ability to do something to help out in your home state or even helping a neighbor (like those that helped in Louisiana after Katrina), is far greater a reward to recognize than going overseas to help someone who may or may not have wanted our help (another discussion another time, but I believe we did the right thing)

Some people have gone overseas because of a belief in WMD or because it was Arabs who attacked the WTC (which they don't distinguish from terrorists and insurgents). I went because I took an oath that, I still believe in, says I will obey the orders of the POTUS. I signed on the dotted line and I have no regrets. I never questioned why we were going over. POTUS ordered, I went, it was, and is, as easy as that [to me].

I have volunteered to go back three more times and have not been accepted because of my failing health. On one hand I've been relieved because I don't want to leave my kids... on the other hand I sleep each night only because I dream of being there. I will spend the rest of my life dealing with all of the medical issues that I incurred from being in IQ, and that's alright with me. I only hope that one day my kids will understand why I did what I had to do and why I have no regrets.

I will ask only one thing from everyone, in addition to this post. Don't just thank an airman, sailor, marine or soldier, also thank a vet. Just because you didn't serve in time of war doesn't mean you're not a vet... and just because you didn't serve at all doesn't mean you're not a patriot. This we'll defend. I don't ask you to support me in exchange for my willingness to die for you. [FYI, being a patriot doesn't mean you have to support the war]

Thank you for your support.

I thank all those vets on these boards as well... I can't name them all, but add your name if you're a vet.

I'll start.

Thank you Chris (no the other one) for your tour as a Marine -- Semper Fi
Don't forget to "Give it up for a Trooper",

timo
TK-2030
StandTrooper
JLo Hoff Trooper
StandTrooper.com
70th Explorers
70thExplorers.com
501st Legion
www.501st.com
merrick
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member
First Name: Matthew
Last Name: Bakeberg
TK Number: 8947

Post by merrick »

Matt Bakeberg, USN, 1993-2001
rebelbuttkicker
First Name: Greg
Last Name: Gentry
TK Number: 0

Post by rebelbuttkicker »

All hail the defenders of liberty! :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :P
Incognito Trooper
standtrooper
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member

Post by standtrooper »

Norm... you did something in the Army didn't you? Cook or Infantry or something? :D

anyone else?

timo
TK-2030
StandTrooper
JLo Hoff Trooper
StandTrooper.com
70th Explorers
70thExplorers.com
501st Legion
www.501st.com
rebelbuttkicker
First Name: Greg
Last Name: Gentry
TK Number: 0

Post by rebelbuttkicker »

My Dad was a chopper pilot for 20 years. :P Never went to war.
Incognito Trooper
standtrooper
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member

Post by standtrooper »

rebelbuttkicker wrote:My Dad was a chopper pilot for 20 years. :P Never went to war.
I'm jealous... he got to fly... they told me I was too blind... now I'm too old to go to flight school without a lot of waivers.

timo
TK-2030
StandTrooper
JLo Hoff Trooper
StandTrooper.com
70th Explorers
70thExplorers.com
501st Legion
www.501st.com
TK6206
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Barkovitz
TK Number: 6206

Post by TK6206 »

I was a USAF Lt. during the Reagan years.
Somebody up there must love me,...I just got transfered to duty on the DEATH-STAR !

Woo-Hoo!
judge_hellfast
First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Haze
TK Number: 4293

Post by judge_hellfast »

US Marine here. Ooh Raah!!!