Clone "Kickback" WIP

Progress reports on costumes
irishmyers
First Name: Boone
Last Name: Myers
TK Number: 0

Clone "Kickback" WIP

Post by irishmyers »

Well after changing my mind many different times, I have settled on building my first costume as the Blue Squadron pilot Kickback from "Storm over Ryloth". I just purchased a helmet from SGB and this is my first build, so I'm not sure where exactly to start. I have found several tutitorials for building a grunt helmet, and I assume the pilot/grunt helmet building process is almost the same minus the extra painting.

Any specific tools and color paint should I use?

I assume you first cut out the visor, sand the helmet down, prime the helmet, paint it white, add Kickbacks markings, weather the helmet, then install the visor and it's done?

Thanks,

Boone Myers (the new guy)

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kickback
the dark knight
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member
First Name: Jon
Last Name: Jones
TK Number: 9892

Re: Clone "Kickback" WIP

Post by the dark knight »

yes and no.. you will need a dremel motor to do all cutting on the helmet, make sure you get a variable speed one and a flexable shaft attachment. your life will be easier with that. as far as i know, jason no longer supplies lense material for you to use. dont know if he has started again or not... you have the process down fairly well, i prefer rustoleum to krylon. DO NOT use krylon fusion, it is ment for plastic. the helmet you have is a fiberglass outer core with microballs mixed in with a rotocast inner core. ie, krylon fusion will not adhere correctly. i also prefer to use satin white for my base color. dont use gloss, you arent a pretty TK. :lol: dont mix brands of paint, Ie- if you use rustoleum primer, use rustoleum paints for you color coats. there is a high chance of reaction there too.

step #1- as soon as you take jasons helmet out of the box, you will need to wash it to get all of the relise agent from the moulding process off. i use a SOS pad, hot water and dawn dish soap. scrub it hard and get every nook and cranny, then your set. SGB's relise agent is a pain to get off. i washed my GM and concept boba fett helmets twice for good measure.
2- sand the helmet and fill where needed
3- remove the visor. if you do this before #2 you will compromise the streangth of the cast and run a risk of damage while sanding. (been there done it. it sucks)
4- wash it again before primer, and use rubbing alcohol (70%) to remove any oils your skin might have left behind
5- prime it, wetsand it, and put the rubbing alcohol on again
6- paint. i always let my coats dry atleast a day before i top coat them agian. i also wetsand between every coat. when you go to tape off the detail lines on the helmet, let the lid sit for a few days before you put the tape on. this will prevent the infamous tape burn.
7- after last coat has sat for one week, then i will install the lense, fans, helmet liner and mic set up.

of course every one has a differant process, but ive found that set seems to produce stunning results at the end of the day. 8)
"You know its sad but true!"
irishmyers
First Name: Boone
Last Name: Myers
TK Number: 0

Re: Clone "Kickback" WIP

Post by irishmyers »

Alright, thanks for the step by step process, that helps alot!

Does anyone know how to cross refference different brand of paint colors? I know the krylon color is Krylon Global Blue, but not I'm not sure what the correct shade is in rustoleum.

I'll post pictures when I get the helmet in the mail.

Thanks!

Boone Myers