Goo on my Armor!!! (repost)

Post your question, tips, or tutorials for all Star Wars related costumes here.
Administrator

Goo on my Armor!!! (repost)

Post by Administrator »

Author: TK-3181
e-mail: brandonlauthern@sbcglobal.net
Posted: 03-09-2005

Does anyone know what type of glue can be used to reinforce the velcro on arms and calves? The velcro glue pulls away when it gets warm and moist. (Mostly all of the time when trooping.) BTW, "GOO GONE" removes the old velcro adhesive beautifully.
TK-3181

--
Author: tk080
e-mail: tk080@tk80.com
Posted: 03-10-2005

Are you using the velcro that came with the kit? If you are you might want to head to your local hardware store and pick up a package of Industrial Strength Velcro. I''ve never had any problems with that stuff pulling off while trooping.

--
Author: TK-3181
e-mail: brandonlauthern@sbcglobal.net
Posted: 03-10-2005

Thanks, I wasn't sure if the glue was any different on the Industrial stuff. I will be upgrading soon.
TK-3181

--
Author: TK DHeth
e-mail: dheth@dheth.com
Posted: 03-28-2005

Rivets used with washers also work to hold velcro in place. Velcro does wear eventually and have to be replaces but with rivets you can drill them out and put in new rivets with the new velcro. The velcro holding my shins together gives me the most trouble
David Heth, TK-565
Central Garrison
70th Explorers Squadron

--
Author: Judge_Hellfast
e-mail: judge_hellfast2003@yahoo.com
Posted: 04-01-2005

Another alternative to using rivets which are bulky, can tear at the armor and undersuit are specialty screws. These screws have a male and female end and when put together leave a nice flat surface. Just add a dap of glue and presto!....you have a nice clean prop that will stay together for a long time. No more hassle replacing those old rivets.

--
Author: TK DHeth
e-mail: dheth@dheth.com
Posted: 04-04-2005

The 2 part screws are called "post bolts" or "sleeve bolts", you can get aluminum ones at any hardware store for about .25 each . I have found rivets in white but post bolts don't come painted. A couple coats of white oil-based enamel should work though. Be sure to use "Thread Lock" (small bottle of blue gunk) if you use post bolts or they WILL come undone.
mrivorey
First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Moody
TK Number: 394
Droids Owned: R2-D2

Post by mrivorey »

I think I will be using ABS cement, straps & snaps very soon to replace most of the velcro. I found some info about how to do it at http://www.gotarmor.net/armor_mods.html.

8)
Chris Moody, TK-394
Garrison Web Liaison / Webmaster
https://www.facebook.com/cmmoody