KC area costume maker

Post your question, tips, or tutorials for all Star Wars related costumes here.
Culvan
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison
First Name: Andy
Last Name: Shimamoto
TK Number: 2265

KC area costume maker

Post by Culvan »

Is there anyone in the Kansas City area that has constructed their own suit of armor on a vacuum forming machine that could help me out. I'd be especially interested in molds. I'd rather not re-invent the wheel for every part of this project if I don't have to.

I've decided to get a little more serious about building a suit of armor. I built a hemet and chest armor out of fiberglass, but it is nasty stuff to work with. I decided to make a vacuum forming table and make a suit out of plastic.

I'm roughly following TK560 / Thurston James's plans for the vacuum forming system for a 24"x24" system.

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to work on my armor with two kids and all. I don't expect this to go too fast. Any shortcuts I can take would be great.

Andy
judge_hellfast
First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Haze
TK Number: 4293

Post by judge_hellfast »

The best advice I can give you is to put together a cost analysis of creating armor from scratch as opposed to just purchasing a set of armor. I'm willing to bet there will be a huge price differentiation between the two. If budget doesn't allow you to purchase a set of armor, then chances are creating armor from scratch will be nixed as well.

I'm sure there are some members here who would be more than helpful in helping you to locate information on armor kits.

Good luck on your quest, mate!!! And remember our dear friends the cuttlefish!
Culvan
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison

Post by Culvan »

I'm mostly aware of the costs. I long ago realized that it would be easier, cheaper and faster to buy a suit.

I have this crazy idea that I can build other things with the skills I learn in this project. I hope to make this a stepping stone to another project someday.

Andy
Culvan
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison

Post by Culvan »

I'm almost done with the vacuum forming table, but I may have to rebuild some parts. I'm using 1/2" hardibacker board (as suggested by TK560) for the oven. I didn't have the tools to weld a holding frame together so I put something together out of wood. I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with these materials. Will the outside (underside specifically) of the oven get hot enough to scorch the wood?

I was wondering if I could get someone to take pictures of some of their molds next to rulers so I can get some scale reference down. I'm interested in the scale for arms, legs and helmet pieces. I'm looking at total length and diameter for the most part. This would help me get a good starting reference point.

On the subject of helmets, some of them seem to have undercuts that look like they would be impossible to get free from the molds. For example the vents on the cheeks of TK helmets or the respirator section. Is there a way to deal with undercuts like that or do they have to be done in smaller pieces and attatched later.

Andy