Dimensions and scaling

Post your question, tips, or tutorials for all Star Wars related costumes here.
Culvan
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison
First Name: Andy
Last Name: Shimamoto
TK Number: 2265

Dimensions and scaling

Post by Culvan »

Does anyone know a good, better or easier way to determine dimentions for a suit of armor?

I've started gathering my reference photographs (clone trooper) and I'm trying to start taking measurements off of them. I've digitally scaled one whole body shot to approximately my height (plus a little for hemet and shoes). It seems to work for the single shot, but I'm trying to match up other photographs to get more dimetions and I'm finding that the angle of the photographer seems to make a big difference. I'm trying to compare chest pieces and one photo was taken at head level and another at waist level and it seems to make about an inch difference. I figure that's probably going to be fairly significant in a part that's about 15 inches.

Andy
TK-1161 Curt
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison
First Name: Curt
Last Name: Stanfill
TK Number: 1161

Post by TK-1161 Curt »

What are you wanting to do with all of these pictures?
Curt Stanfill
TK-1161 / ID-1161 / DZ-1161
Gateway Squad
70th Explorers Garrison
judge_hellfast
First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Haze
TK Number: 4293

Post by judge_hellfast »

The problem with clone armor is that all these folks were CGI. If a real person were to wear the actual armor, it wouldn't fit. The dimensions just don't have living human body shapes in mind. There are ultra rare CGI files floating around out there that have the dimensions of all the clone armor. These are like finding a needle in a haystack and most of the people who have them are not going to divulge them very easily, if at all.

The best advise would be to build the armor for your body shape in mind. It may be a few inches off here or there, but when all the pieces are layed out to your body shape, you should be very close in nature to the look you want/need.

Does that help any? What medium do you plan to use to build the armor (i.e. fiberglass, vacuform, ABS, Styrene, etc)?
TK-1161 Curt
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison
First Name: Curt
Last Name: Stanfill
TK Number: 1161

Post by TK-1161 Curt »

That's why I was wondering about the pictures. You are much better just fitting it to your body and then just looking at what you have done to see if it looks right. that's abou tthe only way to do it and have it come out right. :)
Curt Stanfill
TK-1161 / ID-1161 / DZ-1161
Gateway Squad
70th Explorers Garrison
Culvan
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison
First Name: Andy
Last Name: Shimamoto
TK Number: 2265

Post by Culvan »

Thank you, The information is very helpfull. Sounds like this will be a slightly more challenging project than I had initially thought. I'm going to have to craft something that looks like the pictures and not try to reproduce something. This is exactly the sort of thing I was planning on doing eventually. I guess I'll start a little earlier than I thought.

So the best way to do this is probably to estimate relative dimentions from the reference photographs. Then I need to take measurements of my body and stretch the dimentions as required to fit onto me. I figure the construction techniques will end up being similar to the way Studiocreations described making TK armor.

I'm not certain of the materials yet. Most likely, I'll use vacuumformed ABS, possibly Styrene. I've used Fiberglas before and I really don't like using it. I honestly don't know what's the best material for something like this and for a novice Vacuumformer.

Andy
Dark One
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member
First Name: Eric
Last Name: Aggson
TK Number: 7013

Post by Dark One »

Wow. You picked probably the hardest set of armor to make. Good luck with your project. If you want/need I can send you some pics of me in my armor. (Clone6 armor) I would ask like KB Fett too. Trying to use CGI files will be dang near impossible. I used to have the file Judge was talking about with the measurements. I think gentle giant made a lifesized clone statue based on the files. It would not fit a real person. Heck, I even remember bidding on one that was for sale on e-bay a couple of years ago. I didn't win.
Eric Aggson
TC-7013
TD-7013
CLONES RULE!!!!!!!
I am SWARSAG!!!!!!!!