I am in over my head - Naval Trooper outfit

Post your question, tips, or tutorials for all Star Wars related costumes here.
Darth Mogebier
TK Number: 0
Location: STL, MO, Earth, SOL system, Milky Way, Western Spiral Arm

I am in over my head - Naval Trooper outfit

Post by Darth Mogebier »

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaalrighty.
I have been looking around here, and IOC, and 501st..... and my brain is about to explode :)

Is there another person with an Naval Trooper costume that can start me pointed in the right direction on things??
I am a very handy guy. I can sew. I can woodwork. I can paint. I can fabricate. I have no idea how to do fiberglass, though.

Where is a good, and cheap place to get a helmet? Even a place to buy a rough helmet that I can finish, sand and paint myself will be good.

Is the gun a repainted rebel blaster?? On the IOC forum a guy had one that was repainted.

Where do I get boots??

I would prefer the jumpsuit version. I saw on the IOC forums that there is a jumpsuit version and a tunic/pants version. Are both versions okay with the 501st?? I would prefer to buy a jumpsuit and modify it rather than trying to make one from scratch.

The belt "boxes" are just re-painted Altoid's tins?? I have plenty of those around :)

Thanx for any and all help!!
First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Haze
TK Number: 4293

Post by judge_hellfast »

I'm no expert on the Naval Trooper and where to find gear for it by any means. However, I believe this is the detachment that you may be looking for to help answer some of your questions:

http://officers.conforums.com/index.cgi

I would also PM Rudolpht over at CT.N as he is the master at who makes what for any costume. He is like the know all guru of costuming...hence why we have him as the Detachment Armorer for CT.N.

Sorry I wasn't too much help for ya.
merrick
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member
First Name: Matthew
Last Name: Bakeberg
TK Number: 8947

Post by merrick »

i guess i should help as much as i can on this one. i believe im the only Navel Trooper in the Garrison. lol. with the helmet mine is an Altmans that i got from ebay for a pretty good price so i would check there. some people dont like them though as some of the later ones seem to look smaller. you can check the 501st forums as well. i seem to recall someone making and selling them off there.
Now for the blaster. the Navel Troopers are shown using a wide variety of weapons in the movies. In ANH they are using the DH-17 (rebel trooper blaster) in the detention block, in ROTJ they are shown on Endor using the trusty E-11 so either would be acceptable.
The boots would be the jackboots that you would use for almost all Imperial "soft" costumes. (plain, black etc)
The belt boxes are not needed for the ROTJ (jumpsuit) version as we see some troopers on Endor with and some without. (mine is without) but if you want to have them they should be about the size of cigarette boxes hight wise and width wise.

hope i helped some
TK2774
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Brill
TK Number: 2774

Post by TK2774 »

I also have been thinking about the Navy trooper outfit. You can come across some deals on the helmet every now and then on ebay. The blaster I already have and use it for my TIE pilot and sometime royal guard. I bought a Dh-17 nerf gun from Target and then took out the nerf shooting items, but I left the light in the scope. Painted it. Looks good and is light. Real simple to do. $20 or less and you have your gun. I also got a holster for a DL-44, but this works great with the DH-17. Gloves which in the movie you see some of the troops with and some without, so either way would work, but gloves always look cool.
The jump suit you could just get a flight suit (usually get the best deals of of ebay). Take off the excess velcro and stitching that are on the jump suit. Sow on the cogs on the shoulders, but wait, I don't know for sure if they have cogs on the shoulders. Better research that. Belt I got off of ebay for about $20-30 this already had the buckle and greeblie on it. Official jack boots are hard to come by or expensive. Sometimes you can just get by with Vader or officer boots that can be bought on ebay also. Hope I gave a little information.
Robert Brill
TK/TI/TR/TB/ID 2774
501st Legion
360 Gamertag: Brill TK2774
"It is not the costumes that make us great, but us that make great costumes."
Darth Mogebier

Post by Darth Mogebier »

What kind of flight suit do you guys have?
What do you think about this one: Flight Suit
First Name: Greg
Last Name: Gentry

Post by rebelbuttkicker »

Hey, try this link for boots. On the Officer website they were talking about how several of them just use Black Jedi boots. I don't know if it is official, but it is a place to check in to. They're posted at about $40.

http://easterncoastcostume.com/Pages/go ... boot01.htm

Hope it helps! ;)
Incognito Trooper
merrick
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member
First Name: Matthew
Last Name: Bakeberg
TK Number: 8947

Post by merrick »

alot of guys use those boots and they seem to fall apart pretty easy. from zipper on the side (not cannon) breaking to the sole coming away from the rest of the boot. depending on how much trooping you do i would seriously give them 6-8 months
Cmndr Falken
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Pierce
TK Number: 6994
Droids Owned: BB-H8

Post by Cmndr Falken »

I agree they are kind of cheap. They are ok to get you started but unless you take care of them VERY well they wont hold up.

I currently have a pair that I use for my officer costume I treat them frequently with leather conditioner so that I can get more use out of them but I know they will need to be replaced soon.
Tony Pierce
Gladstone, MO
rebelbuttkicker

Darn, I thought I found something.
Incognito Trooper
judge_hellfast
First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Haze
TK Number: 4293

Post by judge_hellfast »

Do yourself a favor and contact this guy about your Naval Trooper information needs, etc. ;) Enough said:

http://www.501st.com/members/displaymem ... userID=961
Darth Mogebier

Post by Darth Mogebier »

Thanx. I can't get onto their forums without being a member. I will give him a shout.

That's a lot of uniforms!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Incognito Trooper