rivets or no rivets, that is the question

Post your question, tips, or tutorials for all Star Wars related costumes here.
Mandalorian_soldier
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison
First Name: Zach
Last Name: Fischer
TK Number: 6491

rivets or no rivets, that is the question

Post by Mandalorian_soldier »

It has been a very long time since I have been on here but I have decided to resurface! I just recently started assembling all of my tk armor and I was wondering about the pros and cons of using rivets, and what kind of rivets are even used? I have had no luck in being able to find a listed source or the size of rivet and rivet gun. And another question I had is in the kit that I recieved there were strips of white velcro. is it a bad idea to use this or should I go looking for some industrial strength stuff? Thanks- The blue mandalorian
Zach
Emotion, the true enemy of justice.

Zach T. Fischer
BH-6491
a.k.a. "Red Shirt"
70th Explorers Garrison
Gateway Squad
mrivorey
First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Moody
TK Number: 394
Droids Owned: R2-D2

Re: rivets or no rivets, that is the question

Post by mrivorey »

I would NOT use any rivets, unless they will be used in places you can't see. I got away with them on my shoulder straps and knee sniper plate, but I also painted them white to hide them. That's about as much as you can get away with I think. And even then, the rules may have been tightened. Ral? Rhonda?

Forgot using normal Velcro. Go ahead and buy a roll of the industrial strength stuff. The glue on the normal stuff is only good for few troops before you start having problems.
Chris Moody, TK-394
Garrison Web Liaison / Webmaster
https://www.facebook.com/cmmoody
cblackthorne
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Adams
TK Number: 8100

Post by cblackthorne »

I use white aluminum rivets for those locations where attachments are hidden or hard to see. You can pick them up at Ace Hardware. The size is 1/8 inch. They will work for most of what you will need to attach.

You may also need longer rivets for other attachments in certain circumstances. I have three sizes in my armor kit.

I recommend to only use aluminum, so that if you have to drill out the rivet or cut it off, its much easier than steel. Nothing on our costumes will be under enough stress to justify steel rivets.

Regards,
Chris
Chris A.
BH/SL/TK-8100
70th Explorer's Garrison

Image Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.
Serty
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member
First Name: Josh
Last Name: Gann
TK Number: 1730

Post by Serty »

On all the TK's down in Springfield have white aluminum rivets in the sholder straps and most have them holding the sniperplate and thermal detinator on. but I wouldn't use them any where else. Even the sholder straps can be bad if you make it too small you cant resize it without leaving holes. I put rivets in my forarms that was a big mistake.
Joshua Gann CT-1730
Captain of the Guard / 70th Explorers Liaison
judge_hellfast
Last Name: Haze
TK Number: 4293

Post by judge_hellfast »

I like to use post bolts (i.e. sex bolts) for my armor items and I try to not use them at all if I can get away with it. My brother is a huge believer in rivets. I don't particularly care for them.

For the shoulder straps, I make use of a "dummy" strap which I attach to the chest and back. The problem with riveting your good strap to your chest and back is that it puts a lot of stress on the strap and nine times out of ten, it may break. That's why there are numerous TKs in the field with broken shoulder straps. I make use of a "dummy" strap and only use my good strap for show. If the dummy strap breaks, it doesn't matter as I can easily replace it. The good strap is used as a cover. It covers the rivets and the dummy strap. It makes the armor look nice and clean.
TK-1161 Curt
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison
First Name: Curt
Last Name: Stanfill
TK Number: 1161

Post by TK-1161 Curt »

I have to agree with Mr. Haze on this. If I had to do it over, I would not use rivits on my shoulder straps. I did and I haven't broken one in the 5 years I have been using my armor (knocks on head for luck) but I would rather do the dummy strap setup now that I know better. :D
Curt Stanfill
TK-1161 / ID-1161 / DZ-1161
Gateway Squad
70th Explorers Garrison
kbfett
First Name: Ken
Last Name: Beckwith
TK Number: 6555

Post by kbfett »

judge_hellfast wrote:(i.e. sex bolts)
tee-hee! :D :D
Ken Beckwith
TK/TC/BH 6555
70th Explorers Garrison

Mandalorian_soldier
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison

When you guys say dummy straps, are you refering to the strap that is under the regulare white trooper strap? could someone post pictures? please and thank you!

Zach T. Fischer
BH-6491
a.k.a. "Red Shirt"
70th Explorers Garrison
Gateway Squad
Serty
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member
First Name: Josh
Last Name: Gann
TK Number: 1730

Post by Serty »

kbfett wrote:
;) *snicker*
Joshua Gann CT-1730
Captain of the Guard / 70th Explorers Liaison
madog5154
First Name: Troy
Last Name: Meier
TK Number: 5154

Post by madog5154 »

Serty wrote:
kbfett wrote:
;) *snicker*
:heh: I forgot what were we talking about.......O yea tell me more! :rockin:
If nothing sticks to teflon......then how does teflon stick to the pan?
judge_hellfast
Last Name: Haze
TK Number: 4293

Post by judge_hellfast »

Use a piece of ABS plastic as ABS is a very durable plastic...the thicker, the better. Cut the ABS down to approximately the same size as your good strap...maybe a bit smaller so it hides underneath the good strap. Make it as long was you need as well. You'll also want to heat the ABS strap and give it a little curve. You can do this by placing in boiling water or using a heat gun. If you use a heat gun, be careful not to overheat the plastic.

Notice the three post bolts below. They are nice and flat on the underneath side and don't rub against your body suit and tear it to holy hell. I used a little Goop (Plumbers Glue) over the top of the post bolts to make the surface nice and smooth as well as to keep the bolts joined together. At this stage, I can always take the straps on and off if I so desire. That's the beauty of using post bolts, nothing is permanent if you don't want it to be.

See how nice and clean it makes it look? It almost looks like nothing is holding anything together and it doesn't have those visible rivets.

When we say SEX BOLTS, we should say...YES PLEASE! ;)
Mandalorian_soldier
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison

Thanks for the tips guys, the fake strap sounds like it would last alot longer than what I was planning to do. these "sex bolts" are like eyelets arent they?

Zach T. Fischer
BH-6491
a.k.a. "Red Shirt"
70th Explorers Garrison
Gateway Squad
cblackthorne
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Adams
TK Number: 8100

Post by cblackthorne »

I use the secondary (i.e. fake) strap, but I do mine in black ABS so its harder to see. Instead of rivets, I cut a slit parallel to the edge in the secondary strap and feed a piece of black elastic through, simliar to what you see on a biker scout for the elbows, kness, etc. The strap has one long end and one short end, with each end having a snap. The short end connects to my shoulder bell and the long end connects to my bicep piece.

I have used a simliar set-up on my medieval armor for years to attach my pauldrons to my gorget/breastplate and it has served me well.

Regards,
Chris A.
Chris A.
BH/SL/TK-8100
70th Explorer's Garrison

Image Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.