Imperial Officer-to-be

Post your question, tips, or tutorials for all Star Wars related costumes here.
Terry19d
First Name: Terrill
Last Name: Handshy
TK Number: 2055

Imperial Officer-to-be

Post by Terry19d »

I've decided to give myself a well-earned promotion and join the officer corps. ;) I like the idea of having a costume to wear that doesn't involve lugging around large armor boxes, doesn't take a long time to put on, and yet still looks sharp if done right. I've already joined the 501st Officer Corps detachment and have started doing research there, but our garrison has a lot of great resources, as well, so I wanted to open up here for any assistance. I'm looking to do the black stormtrooper officer variant, if that helps. Thanks!
Terry H.
TK/CT/ID/SL-2055
judge_hellfast
First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Haze
TK Number: 4293

Re: Imperial Officer-to-be

Post by judge_hellfast »

Uh oh, I think someone just caught the costume bug and is trying to come to reason as to why they need another costume. Am I right, Terry, or am I right? :lol:

That's awesome, bro! You're gonna make an awesome officer. Keep us posted! :rockin:
Terry19d

Post by Terry19d »

Heck yeah. Although my reasoning does dovetail nicely into the urge to work on another costume!
Terry H.
TK/CT/ID/SL-2055
cblackthorne
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Adams
TK Number: 8100

Post by cblackthorne »

Hello,

If you are doing research, maybe this info will help:

If you are going to make a black uniform, I recommend using trigger cloth. It has a stiff, uniform look, is machine washable and tough. You will probably never have to make a replacement uniform due to fabric fatigue. :)

Elvis Trooper is a good source for greebles.

You can get the buckle at any Tandy Leather store along with the belt blank.

I used chalk holders for the code cylinders.

Hope this helps!
Chris A.
BH/SL/TK-8100
70th Explorer's Garrison

Image Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.
Terry19d

Post by Terry19d »

It does help, Chris, thanks! I feel that I'm a bit out of my depth after dealing with hard plastic for so long, so the assistance is appreciated. I've already ordered from Elvis Trooper and will be headed over to Jo-Anne's to look at cloth and find the McCall Civil War pattern, and I will be sure to look at the trigger cloth. Also do have a line on some Post-WWII German jack-style boots.
Terry H.
TK/CT/ID/SL-2055
TK1423
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison
First Name: Faron
Last Name: Morales
TK Number: 1423

Post by TK1423 »

PM sent
No Worries...~...Laughter is good medicine...~...Happiness is a choice

Faron Morales
tk1423
70th Explorers Garrison
Star Garrison (honorary)
cblackthorne
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Adams
TK Number: 8100

Post by cblackthorne »

Terry19d wrote:It does help, Chris, thanks! I feel that I'm a bit out of my depth after dealing with hard plastic for so long, so the assistance is appreciated. I've already ordered from Elvis Trooper and will be headed over to Jo-Anne's to look at cloth and find the McCall Civil War pattern, and I will be sure to look at the trigger cloth. Also do have a line on some Post-WWII German jack-style boots.
At Joann's, they call it "Target" fabric. :)

The civil war pattern will require some modification to get it right.

Regards,
Chris
Chris A.
BH/SL/TK-8100
70th Explorer's Garrison

Image Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.
TK-1161 Curt
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison
First Name: Curt
Last Name: Stanfill
TK Number: 1161

Post by TK-1161 Curt »

There are a couple of options for code cylinders. Admiral Motti had the Dosimeter and the X-wing style but I'm not sure you can use both types with a black uniform. You can get real dosimeters every now and then on eBay but that’s hit or miss. Chalk holders are the easiest to do. I stopped by the local teacher supply y store here in St. Louis a couple of weeks ago to see if they had any (that’s where I got mine) but they are out of silver ones. They may be available in your neck of the woods at a similar store. I was going to see about finding some and making some more. I can get some but I have to order 12 of them. I know I don’t need that many but if enough people wanted them I could get them and fix them up.
As far as belts go, there are a couple of people that make them. One guy that does nice stuff is Dave “VaderDave” Mondo in the Central Garrison. He does some belts and badges. I like the badges that Vincent Sanchez does. He has a run going on now on the 501st Forums.
http://www.501stforums.com/forum/viewto ... 06&start=0

Hope that helps a bit. :D
Curt Stanfill
TK-1161 / ID-1161 / DZ-1161
Gateway Squad
70th Explorers Garrison
Terry19d

Post by Terry19d »

Thanks for all of the info, Curt. :) I'll see what I can find around here as far as chalk holders, as I had pretty much ruled out using the correct-looking dosimeters because of their rarity. I talked to VaderDave recently (whom I know from the FISD) and he's booked solid, but he gave me the name of another guy at the IOC forums to try, so I think that's taken care of. I did see that run of badges that Vincent has going on and picked up a couple from him a few days ago. They do look quite nice!
Terry H.
TK/CT/ID/SL-2055
the dark knight
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member
First Name: Jon
Last Name: Jones
TK Number: 9892

Post by the dark knight »

if nothing else, i used these from harbor freight. i cut the tip off and painted the ends blue. they come in silve and red i belive. thats a cheep alternative that i used for my pilot code cylinders:D

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=94081
"You know its sad but true!"
Dman
Eternal Trooper
Eternal Trooper
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Bain
TK Number: 5266

Post by Dman »

Dark Knight, at the risk of sounding stupid, could you post up a pic or two, or possibly even a form of tutorial, in all likelihood my next project is going to be a StormTrooper (Black Suit) Officer and I would love an e=inexpensive code cylinder to use with it...

Thanks! :jango:
the dark knight
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member
First Name: Jon
Last Name: Jones
TK Number: 9892

Post by the dark knight »

sorry for not replying sooner Dman. ill get you some pics and ill build an new set for TK4484 at the same time. give me a week, and ill post it up for you guys! :D
"You know its sad but true!"
Terry19d

Post by Terry19d »

There's actually a good quick how-to for code cylinders on the Imperial Officers Corps detachment forums, which is what I used to build my cylinders. I'll try and get a pic or two up in the next day or so so you can see how they turned out.
Terry H.
TK/CT/ID/SL-2055