Leg Arnor

Post your question, tips, or tutorials for all Star Wars related costumes here.
Dinadin TK-5972
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Schafer
TK Number: 5972

Leg Arnor

Post by Dinadin TK-5972 »

After having my leg armor fall apart on me at the AAron Allston thing I have been thinking about how to deal with it. Currently I have velcro all along the front and elastic securing the back. The problem is that velcro has to replaced after each event otherwise I get what happened yesterday. Ral said I should glue the front of them and shim them in the back. I am thinking about riveting them infront and having some clips attached to elastic in back. Since I am a big guy I have to clam shell the armor some how to get it on. I know several people have used snaps, but I have not had much luck with those. Also I am afraid they would pop undone. Also I just thought about maybe some kind of quick locking system, something you have to line up to attach and turn to lock on.

Would it be frowned upon if what ever I do is visible from the front and thus altering the continuity?
Rich
TK-5972
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -- Edmund Burke
Schafer's Folly
judge_hellfast
First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Haze
TK Number: 4293

Post by judge_hellfast »

Here are my suggestions:

1. Glue the front.
2. Shim the back.

OR

1. Glue the front
2. Shim the back with a an industrial strength velcro closure.

I believe the first suggestion is what Ral had suggested as well. If you go this route, make sure to allow yourself some growing room for later down the road. This is what I have done with my gear and I have had no problem with it. Good luck to you, bro.
TK2774
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Brill
TK Number: 2774

Post by TK2774 »

I have rivoted the upper leg to the abdomen piece using an elastic band. I have worn it for two event and one was a parade and the other a party where i danced for two hours. Never had a problem. The two leg or upper thigh parts I still just velcro together, but since sweat does not get to these there is no problem. I am in the process now of rivoting and using nylon straps to connect my arm peices so I have the reliablilty. The chest and back plate are now rivoted along with the shoulder bells, working great.
The armor is a work in progress, just when i think I have something worked out I think of a better way to do it.
Robert Brill
TK/TI/TR/TB/ID 2774
501st Legion
360 Gamertag: Brill TK2774
"It is not the costumes that make us great, but us that make great costumes."