TK armor set info needed

Post your question, tips, or tutorials for all Star Wars related costumes here.
Terry19d
First Name: Terrill
Last Name: Handshy
TK Number: 2055

Re: TK armor set info needed

Post by Terry19d »

Tyran wrote:I just got in touch with ATA. Looks to be a wait list of 2-4 weeks which isn't bad. So in the meantime what tools should I be getting? Looks to me like the specialized glue, tons of clamps and a dremmel (can never spell that). What type of paint should be used for the armor?
E6000 glue works wonders and can often be found at Wal-Mart, but if that fails you can find it at most any arts & craft store like Michael's or Jo Ann's. CA glue (super-glue) can also be used, like Zap-A-Gap or Gorilla Glue (the super-glue version, not the regular). Dremmel is pretty much a must. Clamps. I would also find some metal rulers or yardsticks to assist in gluing those long seams, such as on the forearms & thighs, so that you can get a tight seal up and down the entire length by just clamping either end and using the force of the metal to press the plastic together. As an alternative, rare-earth magnets are another good way of doing the same thing. Utility or X-acto knife for scoring/snapping the pieces during trimming. Perhaps a pair of straight-cut shears for trimming curved pieces if you don't trust using the Dremmel. Sandpaper of various grits - probably starting at 120 or so and going down to at least 400-600. There could be more that I'm not thinking of right now.

As far as paint, for my TE2 helmet a while back I used Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Primer (either White #249058 or Gray #294088) & Professional High Performance Enamel, Gloss White (#7592838). This paint gives an excellent gloss to the plastic and seems to be quite durable. I'm sure others will chime in with their favorites, but any good primer and gloss white enamel should do the trick.
Terry H.
TK/CT/ID/SL-2055
Tyran
First Name: Brandon
Last Name: Elliott
TK Number: 6388

Post by Tyran »

My only concern is from the pictures he's sent me (pieces, not complete), I do not see the knee plate on the left shin guard. Maybe its just not in the pictures. Who on here actually has a completed ATA set? Would you mind posting a pic of your completed outfit?

One other nice thing is he said he uses 100 gauge on the helmet. Sounds to me that with the 80 gauge 2 mm thick body armor and a thicker helmet, it should be pretty sturdy for standard Trooping.

The pictures he sent made it look like ANH model based on the hand guards. I was thinking more ESB but I don't think I'd be upset with either :)

I've already ordered my boots and I'm going to go searching for a Hasbro blaster here later on. I'm getting pretty excited.
Tyran

Post by Tyran »

Talked to ATA again today. He gave me a few links to finished products. It looks really good (obviously the better craftsman you are the better it'll turn out).

One last question I guess, this is a matter of opinion...

ANH, ESB or ROTJ Stormtrooper? I like them all and can't decide which I'd like to emulate. :grinno:
Trooper Downen
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member
First Name: Troy
Last Name: Downen
TK Number: 3104

Post by Trooper Downen »

Gotta tell you - when you see those 7 year-old kids' eyes light up when they first see you in your armor, it won't matter a bit whether you're ANH, ESB, ROTJ, stunt, hero, screen accurate or just "close enough". Regardless, it'll all be worth the effort. Just go for it! :)
Troy Downen
TK3104
501st Legion, 70th Explorers (70thexplorers.com)
149th War Wolves (149thwarwolves.forummotion.com)
Tyran

Post by Tyran »

I agree. I've been reading about all the charity/community events and I'm really looking forward to being to post saying I'll be there :)

Order officially put in with ATA! Hopefully here in a few weeks I'll be pestering everyone even MORE while I'm attempting to put this beast together. Boots have been ordered as well as a mod kit for a Hasbro E-11 blaster. Now I just need to FIND a Hasbro blaster. Boots also shipped tonight, so far so good.

Now back to my book. I started up Vector Prime from The New Jedi Order series. I swear, I've always been a huge Star Wars geek but Celebration V turned me into a 12 year old kid again :heh:
the dark knight
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member
First Name: Jon
Last Name: Jones
TK Number: 9892

Post by the dark knight »

it comes with those pieces you were wondering about. i finished one in march for my mom. holding up very well. used e-6000 on everything. the key is to let it dry atleast 12 hours before removing the clamps. and terry is right, rulers, tape and clamps work wonders.

terry is right, rustoleum primer and the gloss enamel are the way to go on the paint. stuff wears like iron. the new thing the TX boys are doing is wet sanding the bare plastic with 2,000 grit, then using future floor wax on the suit to polish it. works great on the TX, no painting needed. i think it would work with teh white guys as well, since the black shines up well that way. just a thought to keep in mind. waxing it is easier than the paint. again, your call. ;)
"You know its sad but true!"
TK-4484
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison
First Name: Andy
Last Name: Bauer
TK Number: 4484

Post by TK-4484 »

I can't wait to see some in progress pictures.. good luck and have fun with this. The kids love it.
Andy Bauer
TK-4484
70th Explorers
TK-1161 Curt
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison
First Name: Curt
Last Name: Stanfill
TK Number: 1161

Post by TK-1161 Curt »

I would check Walmart, Target, K-mart, Toys-r-Us, etc... for the blaster. They were in the stores again about a month ago in a new package so you may still be able to find one.

You can still even get them on Wally Worlds website.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Star-Wars-The ... y/13037685
Curt Stanfill
TK-1161 / ID-1161 / DZ-1161
Gateway Squad
70th Explorers Garrison
Tyran

Post by Tyran »

Yikes. The more and more I read up on the amount of work I'll need to put into the ATA the more nervous I'm getting. I'm seriously considering possibly going the AM or TM route to get a more "complete" set of armor that requires less work on my end. I'm thinking I might not really have the time or ROOM to really put this much labor into putting one together. My 1 bedroom apt with hardly any room to "build" something might not work well.

What do you guys think? This will NOT be my only set of armor I can guarantee you that. I'm just thinking that ATA might be too big of a first step for a complete nub like myself.
the dark knight
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member

ive built 4 differant TK sets so far for other people (FX, AM, recast AM, and ATA). i have to say, the ATA set is stupid simple. it should have 3/4 inch over lap strips on all front seams. just but join them together using the strip to hide it. the other two you mentioned are ABS, meaning you choice of glue that will work is severly limited. you will find the ATA kit is soooo much easier to build than the others. if you use the floor wax route, you dont have to paint her up, saving time and space. all kits come with the same parts, you still have to buy gloves, underarmor, neck seal, blaster, holster, and boots.
Tyran

Post by Tyran »

Hmm...man I just don't know. First the one thing I'm short on is time and I can afford to spend a little extra.

ATA price is $380 including the bucket.
AM price is $513 without the bucket.

I'm also thinking buying a premade bucket will be easier for me, which is what I'd do in either case of ATA or AM. I'd still make the ATA helm at some point but nothing wrong with having two buckets. Who would be someone to go to for a quality bucket where I don't have to do much of my own mods?

While gluing materials might be limited on the ABS, from what I've read the AM armor comes pretty much ready to be assembled without the need of any sanding, cutting, painting (since its ABS) or butt joint creating. My ONLY complaint with the AM is that the chest piece looks to have some sharper edges.

http://propaholics.wolfchasers.com/uplo ... rmor/1.jpg

Honestly it looks like I really can't go wrong with any of them. I'm just trying to think of which will be easier for me as my first ever suit and have little room (no shop) to do any real hands on work other than gluing and strapping.

I guarantee when I decide to settle down and get a house that my garage will be a playground for this stuff. I envy those of you who do already :)

Also - If I provide the pizza, beer, whatever...how much convincing would I need to work on in getting a hand on making this? I'd like help not necessarily it all done for me :)
the dark knight
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member

well, all the suits should be but joined with the over lap strip. it is the accurate way to do it, and daetrian over at whitearmor tells me very soon it will be a requirement. i am modding my AM shadow kit to have this feature.

if you want a fairly affordable helmet, look into the EFX helmets. they are around 150 shipped, and they are identical to the Master Replicas helmets. same mold, everything. you can also get the totaly sweet TM helmet. they are pre-done if you order it that way, they are ABS, but they are very pricy for a finished one. $400 easy on that one. DL also has finished helmets. very nice lids, also ABS. but dan's prices are similar to TM.

you have to trim no matter what kit you buy. the pieces on my AM kit came with tons of extra plastic on them to make them fit anyone. there was over 2 inches per piece that i removed from the front of the thighs to get the accurate over lap. i know the pictures of that suit out of the box give the illusion of being ready right out of the box. as for help, all you have to do is ask. i know this seems daunting, but if you give a shout out to a few local troopers, they will be happy to hold an armor party where you and them build your armor. you can literaly build a TK in a day or two with a few guys helping.
Obievon
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Lee
TK Number: 6465

Post by Obievon »

Well I was going to chime in but it looks like Jon pretty much covered it. LOL!!!

No really, you are doing the right thing by asking all the questions before taking a knife or glue to your kit. Now is the time to take your time, get your road map together and you'll be headed in the right direction from the start. FISD and MEPD are great places to hang out and ask the questions. Also as you have seen here there is always someone to reach out to for help. That is what it is all about.....as they say....."Troopers Helping Troopers".

Oh and welcome to the 70th.
Tyran

Post by Tyran »

I have been POURING over info on armor this weekend. I've come down to AM and AP as my two choices now. While AM is cheaper I think AP will fit me a lot better and I'm really liking their helm (minus the fact I need to get better mic pieces). I've been told they have sets ready to ship next week if I'm ready to drop the 8 hundo. Just need to pull the trigger...

Also yes I think I WILL be hosting an armor party when I do this. I can come to someone else or have it at my place. Any and all are welcome! Food and drinks on me.
madog5154
First Name: Troy
Last Name: Meier
TK Number: 5154

Post by madog5154 »

PM sent :wavey:
If nothing sticks to teflon......then how does teflon stick to the pan?