ANH Vader

Post your question, tips, or tutorials for all Star Wars related costumes here.
DTR1
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Roate
TK Number: 6309

ANH Vader

Post by DTR1 »

Does anyone have a shopping list of items needed to build a ANH vader. PM me please if you can help. A check list of some sort. I know it's a long list, but how bad can it be?

Bucket acquired.
cblackthorne
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Adams
TK Number: 8100

Re: ANH Vader

Post by cblackthorne »

DTR1 wrote:Does anyone have a shopping list of items needed to build a ANH vader. PM me please if you can help. A check list of some sort. I know it's a long list, but how bad can it be?

Bucket acquired.
I recommend talking to Jon Jones. He built a complete ANH Vader recently and could definately help you get started.

All the armored Vaders have the same list for items needed, its just the details on some of them are different. If you are starting to look for parts, the following list are the only parts identical for all 4 versions, so you cant go wrong if you find them:

1. Leather Bodysuit
2. Boots
3. Inner Robes
4. Cape
5. Belt (boxes are different, but the belt is the same)
6. Electronics (i.e. breathing loop, voice changer,...)

Hope this helps.
Chris A.
BH/SL/TK-8100
70th Explorer's Garrison

Image Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.
DTR1

Post by DTR1 »

Electronics (i.e. breathing loop, voice changer,...) = Done
ANH Vader Bucket = Done

Evrything else will do! :D
cblackthorne
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Adams
TK Number: 8100

Post by cblackthorne »

The ANH specific items you will need are:

1. Helmet
2. Shoulder Armor
3. Chest Box
4. Belt Boxes
5. Cod Piece
6. Shin Armor
7. Lightsaber (I believe they are requiring the appropriate hilt now)
8. Gloves
9. Cape Chain

Fellow Vaders, am I missing anything?

Hope this helps.
Chris A.
BH/SL/TK-8100
70th Explorer's Garrison

Image Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.
judge_hellfast
First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Haze
TK Number: 4293

Post by judge_hellfast »

I think Chris pretty much covered it. The only thing I have to add is the CRL for the ANH Vader found here:

http://www.501st.com/crl/SL_CRL/SL094_V ... dex094.php

I myself have a ROTJ Vader. My parts came from Portumac.

The only things I would recommend is finding a nice vented undersuit as Vader can be a very HOT costume to wear. The other thing I would recommend is finding a nice thick set of ABS shin armor rather than fiberglass. My poor shin armor has gone through hell and back. Thank goodness they're standing the test of time. lol I've actually fallen twice since I've had Vader and both times the poor shin armor have taken the brunt of the damage.
DTR1

Post by DTR1 »

Fantastic link thanks, Chris.
the dark knight
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member
First Name: Jon
Last Name: Jones
TK Number: 9892

Post by the dark knight »

sorry for the late reply guys.... way too much girlfriend time! lol, just kidding. anyway, i have talked to dallas, but for any one else interested in ANH vader, shoot me a PM. i can cover a few things here though. ANH vader has a very unique paint scheame compared to the other 3. the chest armor is painted almost all gunmetal exept in a few spots. the helmet is the same way. the chest armor also should have very distinct, very sharp details that the other episodes lack. the breast bone and center ridge is very sharp, and the details on the shoulder bells are also very sharp. SPFX is currently the only supplier of high quality ANH chest armor that matches what we see on screen. the chest box is very simple, with no lights. switches are very similar on this chest box to the tie pilot chest boxes. not sure if they really were the same or not. the belt is unique as well, every knob has a red washer behind it. the boxes also have a larger pilot light, and larger green lights than the later vaders. the buckle is also unique in that the slots are very narrow and square at the ends of the slots. cod is shared with ESB, and the shins are the same through the original trilogy. the robe is worn over the chest armor in this version as well. the cape can be worn under the helmet, or around the neck of the helmet like we see in the tanitive sequance. the right tusk on the helmet should also be mostly black, lenses should be amber (even though the crl says red) we know the real color was amber. you could go with a dark amber/almost red to achive the look of the film. the gloves are unique as well. all the seams are on the outside, and the stiching above the knuckels runs horizantal instead of vertical.

sithlords is the website for the 501st requirements. however, if any one wants to know more about the movie vader (including those that already have one and wish to be more accurate) and what makes some props have a higher lineage than the next check out the prop den.
http://thepropden.aokforums.com/index.p ... a5e7fc169c

learned alot from those guys. maybe too much. like the finish on ANH's dome was cause by rough sanding. or the real shocker was that they used varnish to make ESB's dome slick and shinny. lots of good info there.
"You know its sad but true!"