Looking for a TK advisor

Post your question, tips, or tutorials for all Star Wars related costumes here.
TK_9010
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison
First Name: Trenton
Last Name: Tobin
TK Number: 9010

Re: Looking for a TK advisor

Post by TK_9010 »

Yeah That was something I didn't notice when I was looking him over in person, sometimes the fine comb misses some of the bigger stuff.
DZ-9010
70th Explorers Garrison GML(2013)
Kilted Trooper Brigade
Vader's Skater Founder
Dirty
First Name: Miles
Last Name: McBroome
TK Number: 34789

Post by Dirty »

Lol never realized how big that bucket was on me and need to look into ata one and get on it.
In Dirty we trust
TK-34789
Deadpool
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Hamilton
TK Number: 13731

Post by Deadpool »

ATA is pretty quick to reply
Contact/ ATAworks@yahoo.com
Terry19d
First Name: Terrill
Last Name: Handshy
TK Number: 2055

Post by Terry19d »

Hello Miles, and welcome to the 70th forums! Another TK is always welcome - there can never be too many in the ranks as far as I'm concerned.

We definitely appreciate you taking the time to take some photos of yourself in armor. You're not far off from approval from what I can see, just a few things that maybe we can help you out with.
TK_9010 wrote:After looking at the photos I took I strongly suggest getting a smaller bucket. the FX bucket looks like a bobble head on Miles.
Agreed. I'm 6'3", and I think the FX bucket looks too large on me, as well. A more screen-accurate helmet would work really well for your size. I haven't been on FISD in a while - if you have not already done so, I suggest heading over there as it's a super resource for all things stormtrooper. There are several different armor makers that have helmets that would work well in keeping a proportional look to your armor. That would also take care of the ears as well as the tube stripes.

The thermal detonator/O2 cylinder does need some work, mostly just getting rid of the shiny tape and some repainting. I'm not sure about the clip holding it to your belt, either - is it one large clip mounted in the center? That's how it appears in the photo, anyway.

It's nice to see a ANH-based TK holster that is on the proper side! :) However, even the Hero armor has the holster mounted to the belt with two screws/rivets from behind, with two straps that do not loop over the belt.

How did you attach the thigh ammo belt on the right leg? I can't easily discern any visible rivets. Did you use glue? Either way is fine, but I think the glue method gives the armor a cleaner look. Velcro, on the other hand, isn't right. Also, the belt should be centered on the front of the thigh, with the thigh's front joint seam running between the center-most packs.

The fronts of the shoulder straps do need to be secured directly to the armor instead of with Velcro. I just glued mine straight onto the armor and then let them free-float in the back, loosely tied down with 1/4" white elastic. That way I can still take the chest and back plates apart for storage without needing to worry about securing the shoulder straps.

AB buttons do need a repaint to the correct colors. I'm sure between all the TKs in the area that we have the correct ones between us. I've got a tin of the Humbrol Gray #5 (which is also the same color that's on the thermal detonator & the helmet frown for ANH buckets), and I bet others do, too, as well as the proper blue color. So we've got you covered on that, easy fix. The buttons probably should be smaller, as well.
TK_9010 wrote:If Miles wants to keep it the ABS I have no problems with it.
Well, I know that plastic used to be acceptable, but it looks like it has been removed from the CRL. I can already tell you what the folks over at FISD will say about using plastic. ;) For me, it really comes down to the viewpoint of screen-accurate vs. "idealized". If this were an actual, working suit of armor, then it seems silly to think that something like canvas would be used - more likely the belt would be constructed from the same material as the majority of the armor, plastoid in this case. But from a practicality stand, a canvas belt is actually easier to manipulate then a plastic one. And besides, then Miles can just remove the belt from the Hero armor and wear it by itself, like Han and Luke did after the trash compactor sequence. :)

And that's really all I can see from those photos to work on for 501st submission. Good job on the armor, Miles! TK suits might seem easy for some of us now, especially after working on other, more involved costumes. But I can still remember what it felt like to put together my first armor kit back in 2007, never having done anything like it before. I had a few things to change, as well, but I wanted to make it look as good as I could. As I mentioned earlier, FISD is a great place to go, but I believe that we have a good cadre of TKs right here in the 70th that can help out, too.
Terry H.
TK/CT/ID/SL-2055
TK_9010
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison

Post by TK_9010 »

Ok so I know we got a lot going on. Is there somebody could host a armor party with the focus on a TK before Planet Comicon ? I would do it but I live in a complex and the noise will drive my neighbors nuts.

I have a ton of repairs to make to my armor , will most likely convert it to a TD .
DZ-9010
Kilted Trooper Brigade
Vader's Skater Founder
Dirty

Post by Dirty »

I don't know what all is involved with a armour party but I would be more than pleased to host at my house. I have dedicated area in my basement with tons of tools and supplies and what not. I live in the country so noise is not an issue since my neighbors are so far away. Just let me know and I will host or go to one for sure.
In Dirty we trust
TK-34789
HockeyTrooper
First Name: Bennett
Last Name: Gladden
TK Number: 4674

Post by HockeyTrooper »

I'll have to second what Terry said about the folks over at FISD when it comes to the plastic belt. They'll definitely recommend a cloth one., especially the new Detachment Leader.
TK_9010
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison

Post by TK_9010 »

That's honestly what I thought the FISD would say, and its why I translated the CRL the way I did. As I have no issue with the ABS belt, but I have to uphold the CRL for approval and canon events.

With that said most events are non canon .

What goes in to an armor party? Not a whole lot just need a place such as a garage or basement with enough room for guests to sit around, and plenty of ventilation. Most builders will bring tools, paints, greeblies, for his or her project. Its always great if the host has some tools already.

An armor party is what we call it when you get a group of builders together to work on their costume/props. It's a great time to bond with fellow builders as well as get advice on what works, what doesn't work.

As a GML I'm hoping we can have an armor party once every two months. In a different part of the garrison , and hopefully at different person house each time, to make travel time to such an event fair for all .
DZ-9010
Kilted Trooper Brigade
Vader's Skater Founder
Dirty

Post by Dirty »

That sounds like a blast I must say and I am still willing to help and host if needed. My background is 12 volt world and that involved working with MDF, fiberglass and different resins to achieve certain looks. I have more tools than any single person needs and a few I still have yet to use but all is welcome, I have compressor so air tools are here to make things faster and HLVP guns to spray if you need help with paint jobs. If you want to plan one soon I am here and have plenty of room for you guys from basement to garage and shed. Let me know and I will make it available for you guys.
In Dirty we trust
TK-34789
Terry19d
First Name: Terrill
Last Name: Handshy
TK Number: 2055

Post by Terry19d »

It's definitely way past time for another armor party. Depending on the day & time, I'm down for one. Miles, I can bring my TK along for reference, as well as some of my clone stuff that I'd like to work on anyway.
Terry H.
TK/CT/ID/SL-2055
Dirty

Post by Dirty »

Terry19d wrote:It's definitely way past time for another armor party. Depending on the day & time, I'm down for one. Miles, I can bring my TK along for reference, as well as some of my clone stuff that I'd like to work on anyway.
That sounds like a plan and I can get a feel for different armor too because I am a fan of the clone armor. We just need time and place because I am ready to get the ball going
In Dirty we trust
TK-34789
TK_9010
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison

Post by TK_9010 »

Miles go ahead pick a time and day, weekends are normly best. If we're not trooping that day \we should get a couple of people togather.

http://70thexplorers.com/events.php
DZ-9010
Kilted Trooper Brigade
Vader's Skater Founder
Dirty

Post by Dirty »

TK_9010 wrote:Miles go ahead pick a time and day, weekends are normly best. If we're not trooping that day \we should get a couple of people togather.

http://70thexplorers.com/events.php
I am thinking March 9th if that is a good day for everyone and enough lead time to plan it. The schedule looks open but I will wait to see what everyone thinks. I also ordered my canvas belt so I will have a bit done except for smaller helmet because I want to stick with same ABS material is at all possible.
In Dirty we trust
TK-34789
cblackthorne
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Adams
TK Number: 8100

Post by cblackthorne »

I would suggest changing the color of the strips holding the drop boxes from white to black. I dont think the CRL gets that specific, but the white straps dont look right.

Also I would recommend trimming the leg armor a little. The thigh armor and shin armor should be seperate and not touching each other. The thigh piece you can trim at the top and the shin piece you can trim at the bottom. That should not only make for a better look, but it should fit better as well.
Chris A.
BH/SL/TK-8100
70th Explorer's Garrison

Image Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.
TK_9010
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison

Post by TK_9010 »

cblackthorne wrote:I would suggest changing the color of the strips holding the drop boxes from white to black. I dont think the CRL gets that specific, but the white straps dont look right.

Also I would recommend trimming the leg armor a little. The thigh armor and shin armor should be seperate and not touching each other. The thigh piece you can trim at the top and the shin piece you can trim at the bottom. That should not only make for a better look, but it should fit better as well.

I'm not sure when they changed the CRL but it now reads for ANH hero and stunt

"The drop boxes dangle from the sides of the front plastic belt (ammo belt) via white straps and are aligned under the plastic tabs of the ammo belt. "

http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_anh_hero
DZ-9010
Kilted Trooper Brigade
Vader's Skater Founder