Fiber Glassing

Post your question, tips, or tutorials for all Star Wars related costumes here.
TK5544
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member
First Name: Dru
Last Name: Felkins
TK Number: 5544

Fiber Glassing

Post by TK5544 »

Hey all you builders I am working on a special project for the woman and it requires me to do some fiber glass work. Now I have done fiber glass work before on speaker boxes, but those dont require me to have to do a smooth finish from start to finish. Now what I am doing is I have made a basic mold for the leg armor and I need to reinforce the fiberglass resin with something thin and easy to work with. What do you all use? I dont want to use actual fiber glass mat from walmart or home depot because it is to messy and thick for what I am trying to accomplish here. I am looking for thin maybe a stretchy fabric, or poster board? any ideas are apprectiated or links to a good fiber glass tutorial for intermidiate level type stuff.

Thanks guys
Dru Felkins
TK-5544
Central Garrison
Imperial 80th Squad
"Butt Trooper"
SL-3401 wrote:and if we all be quiet, we can see Butt Trooper in his natural habitat.
such a graceful species
judge_hellfast
First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Haze
TK Number: 4293

Post by judge_hellfast »

Do you have a pic of what you're working on, Dru. I'm a little confused as to what you're exactly trying to accomplish. If you were needing something like a stretchy material, would elastic work???
TK5544
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member
First Name: Dru
Last Name: Felkins
TK Number: 5544

Post by TK5544 »

Well never mind actually cause a co worker helped me out a bit and I am just going to create a "hindge" underneath the leather I am stretching so problem solved i can use any type of fiberglass material now heh
Dru Felkins
TK-5544
Central Garrison
Imperial 80th Squad
"Butt Trooper"
SL-3401 wrote:and if we all be quiet, we can see Butt Trooper in his natural habitat.
such a graceful species
Dark One
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member
First Name: Eric
Last Name: Aggson
TK Number: 7013

Post by Dark One »

I would have suggested using the fiberglass tape. The kind you use for drywall. That is what I use to reinforce the inside of my armor to make it seamless. The cool thing is it's not messy like fiberglass matting.
Eric Aggson
TC-7013
TD-7013
CLONES RULE!!!!!!!
I am SWARSAG!!!!!!!!