Improvised Helmet Lens

Post your question, tips, or tutorials for all Star Wars related costumes here.
cblackthorne
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Adams
TK Number: 8100

Improvised Helmet Lens

Post by cblackthorne »

Hello,

I thought I would share with everyone my experience in making an improvised helmet lens for an FX Stormtrooper helmet.

While getting my armor ready to go this weekend, I discovered a problem with the bubble lenses. They were scratched really bad and one was glued in the helmet in a very ugly manner.

Locally, in Jefferson City, MO we do not have an Army surplus store, so access to replacement goggle lenses (as some people use) was not an option. Also, ordering lenses on-line was going to take a long time so I looked for ways to make some flat lenses quickly.

Supplies for this project included:

1. Plexi-glass: I purchased a sheet of thin plexi-glass from Hobby Lobby for $3. Lexan would work as well, but is more expensive to obtain, but more scratch resistant.

2. Window Tinting Film: I had some standard window tinting material at home already from a previous project.

3. Machine Screws (4): Standard 1/4 inch 4-40 machine screws with brass acorn nuts. I couldn't find steel acron nuts this small, but the brass ones actually look better inside the helmet.

4. Epoxy: Standard Epoxy that will work well with the ABS plastic.

Process:
1. I cut two rectangles out of the Plexi-glass about 1/2 inch larger (on all sides) than the standard bubble lenses. This is easily done using a razor blade. You can cut grooves and then gently bend the Plexi-glass until it breaks along the groove.

2. I then attached the window film to each rectangle of Plexi-glass. The film was cut larger than the rectangle to start with and then trimmed down after it dried.

3. While the fim dried, I used Epoxy to attach the 4 sheet metal screws to the inside of the helmet. I placed 1 screw approximately 1 inch from the inside of the eyeslot on the top and another about 1/2 inch from the bottom point of the eye slot. This puts 1 screw on the top and 1 screw on the bottom of each lens socket.

4. After the Epoxy dried, I drilled holes in each rectangle to match up with the screws inside the helmet.

5. When the acorn nuts were tightened down, it caused the Plexi-Glass to bend and contour its shape to the curve of the helmet.

This process has several pros and cons. The first pro, is its a very inexpensive way to replace bad lenses. Second, the parts are available at any hardware/automotive store. Third, since it uses screws instead of glue to hold the lenses in place, its very easy to replace lenses. You can even put different kinds of window film on pieces of Plexi-glass for different effects.

The only con I can think of so far, is that the Plexi-glass is very easy to break if you tighten the acorn nuts down too much and then you have to make a new lens.

Regards,
Chris A.
kbfett
First Name: Ken
Last Name: Beckwith
TK Number: 6555

Post by kbfett »

Cool tip...lets see some pics!
Ken Beckwith
TK/TC/BH 6555
70th Explorers Garrison

cblackthorne
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Adams
TK Number: 8100

Post by cblackthorne »

Here is a picture of the finished lenses.