Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: TLJ Kylo Ren
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:01 pm 

First Name: Ben
Last Name: Hower
TK Number: 0
So in addition to my Krennic, I've got a second WIP that I'd hopefully like to apply with once it's done: Last Jedi Kylo. I have a decent start from the version of TFA I did, and I recently started in on the tunic. To Kick things off I'll recap what I've already made.

First up the sleeves. I already did the pleating for my TFA build, so those should be good to go.

I patterned and sewed my gloves from scratch, starting with a plastic bag and masking tap wrapped around my hands, then transferring to cardstock, and finally assembling in lightweight stretch vinyl.

I patterned (but have not completed) boots using foil and duct tape

For my helmet, I tweaked a pepakura model

And finally, I've done my quilting for the new tunic and begun a rough assembly and test fitting before I trim and sew my edges to their final lengths

Looking forward to sharing more as I continue this project! :)

Post subject: Re: TLJ Kylo Ren
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:43 pm 
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Schmuke
TK Number: 14631
Looks great! Keep us up to date as you progress. Pretty good seam skills. :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:17 pm 

Thanks! I've done some more work on the tunic, including hemming up the bottom and adding a collar. I still need to find a decent fabric for the sleeve caps though. In the mean time, I've also started on my cape. I began by laying out a basic pattern for the vertical strips and transferring those to a bedsheet. The front panels on my mockup are left a bit wide here, so I need to trim them back and add the edge strip, but I'm generally very happy with my shape and fit. I think the next step will be drawing out my diagonals, then cutting apart the mockup to pattern the real deal.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:56 pm 

And progress continues! Since I last posted, I sketched out my diagonals, cut apart the bedsheet mockup for pattern pieces, and cut the panels out of some crackled texture suedecloth. I then pieced them together with the proper seams, sewn down to faux leather strips with a slight gap between each panel. As of posting, I just need to add the front trim/collar and to hem up the bottom ant the cape will be finished. I threw on my tunic for these photos, and as you can see, I'll have to fix up the closure to avoid a gap at the neck. Overall though, and given the number of pieces I'll be able to port over from my TFA version, I'm really happy with the way this is coming together.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:04 pm 

It's a bit tough to get nice clear pictures, but I've been working on the boots and I'm pretty pleased with them so far. Unfortunately it's hard to get a good picture without the soles, but the sewing, including the zipper, is complete. now I just need to contact cement them to the base shoe I've chosen and hopefully they'll be good to go.

Once the boots are done, I'll actually be pretty close to finishing this costume (and hopefully to a degree of quality where it's approvable). The remaining bits are

1. Shoulder caps for the tunic

2. New saber belt clip

3. Cape trim/collar and hem

4. darts and knee seam in the pants

My goal is to get this guy finished up in the next couple of weeks. The CRL is supposed to be live now according to the SLD forums, so once apps start going though, ideally I'll be ready to send mine. I intend to wear this on Sunday of Planet Comicon in KC this year, so hopefully I'll meet some folks from the 70th, and who knows, maybe I'll be able to do it as a fellow member of the legion! :)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]