JaylinDakaal
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member
First Name: Holly
Last Name: Wrinkle
TK Number: 8566

New Costume?

Post by JaylinDakaal »

Yes, I meant to put a question mark at the end of that.

As several of you know, I've been working on a Mara Jade outfit. Mara is, of course a very expensive costume to do, and the lightsaber alone will not only make a large dent in any income I get, but will also take many weeks to get once I order it.

So here's the thing, I'm debating on if I should work on another costume (a cheaper costume) until I get some regular cash flow, and pick one that won't require weeks upon weeks of waiting for things to be made and sent to me. Now I realize that ANY costume I do is going to cost a fair bit for it to look good, so I guess this is really more of an issue of patience. I could take small bits of cash and start working on bits of another costume at a steady pace, or I could save it up, spend it, save it up, spend it, save it up, and spend it on Mara.

Ideally, I'd like to get official membership sometime before the end of the year, and with Mara I'll be really hard pressed to do that since there are so many pieces that cost a bit on their own and will thus require not only time to be made, but also time to save for them.

Some other costumes I've considered working on that I stand a better chance of finishing before 2009:
Royal Guard (which could potentially take that long since the helmets are so hard to find, and I fear making one may be beyond my abilities)
Ysanne Isard
And and un-specified Imperial officer.

I feel like I'm rambling and never getting to the point here, but basically I'm asking for opinions. Should I finish the one I have started and just wait longer for membership, or should I get membership out of the way (all those are costumes I want to do eventually anyways) and then devote untold months to mara?
kbfett
First Name: Ken
Last Name: Beckwith
TK Number: 6555

Post by kbfett »

It sounds to me like you are mos passionate about Mara. I would focus on getting it done. I don't think we haev another Mara in this Garrison so you could really WOW people with it. Good luck on whatever you decide!
Ken Beckwith
TK/TC/BH 6555
70th Explorers Garrison

TK 3181
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member
First Name: Brandon
Last Name: Lauthern
TK Number: 3181

Post by TK 3181 »

I am with Ken on this. You should focus on the costume that has the most meaning to you. In the end, you'll be happier and the "lesser" costumes will come later. (By lesser, I mean ones that you are less determined about, not that the other costumes are of lesser worth to the garrison) 8)
Brandon Lauthern

**Crushing the Rebellion...LIKE A BOSS!!**
TK-1161 Curt
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison
First Name: Curt
Last Name: Stanfill
TK Number: 1161

Post by TK-1161 Curt »

You should finish the one you started. That's the one that you care about the most and it's also the one that will make you the happiest. :D
Curt Stanfill
TK-1161 / ID-1161 / DZ-1161
Gateway Squad
70th Explorers Garrison
Dark One
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member
First Name: Eric
Last Name: Aggson
TK Number: 7013

Post by Dark One »

Mara!! Mara!!!! Go for it!!!! I agree with all the above. Yes, it will cost you the most but if that is the one you REALLY want, put your all into it.
Eric Aggson
TC-7013
TD-7013
CLONES RULE!!!!!!!
I am SWARSAG!!!!!!!!
JaylinDakaal
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member

Post by JaylinDakaal »

Mara it is then. That's what I was leaning towards, but "official" status was tempting me. Thanks for the imput.
DarthBarbieDoll
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member
First Name: Rhonda
Last Name: Brown-Jones
TK Number: 1165

Post by DarthBarbieDoll »

Yay! I can't wait to see your Mara. :)
Bravo Company, 2nd Platoon, Squad 6
rebelbuttkicker
First Name: Greg
Last Name: Gentry
TK Number: 0

Post by rebelbuttkicker »

I'm asuming that your a girl, but with today I could be going out on a limb.
:lol:
Incognito Trooper
JaylinDakaal
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member

Post by JaylinDakaal »

Lol, yes I am a girl. Though I have at times cursed that fact as it would make playing say Anakin or Obi Wan quite difficult. Thank bacca for Revan and other masked characters lol.
TK565
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Heth
TK Number: 565

Post by TK565 »

If you are thinking about the Master Replica Special Edition Mara Jade lightsaber. Its pretty expensive and not something you would want to troop with. Kids always want to grab the stuff out of our hands and swing it around, thats why I carry a cheap kenner blaster :)

The illumisabers guy has a pretty good tutorial on making your own basic saber. http://www.illumisabers.com/diy/index.html It would be pretty easy to dress up as Mara Jade's saber with found objects from Home Depot/Lowe's. I can recognize star bolts, thumbscrews, 1/4" Aluminum stock, fender washers, Black plastic possibly from a T-Rail channel system or windshield wiper parts.
David Heth TK/IG-565
Garrison Awsomeness Liaison
70th Explorers Garrison
http://whomix.trilete.net
JaylinDakaal
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member

Post by JaylinDakaal »

I had considered doing this, but I kept freaking out over the prospect of having to do much metal working as I am terrified of power tools. This actually looks nice and simple though. And more importantly, it won't break the bank (or in the case of buying one demolish it with a wrecking ball and pave over the remains).

Still quite a bit of work to do, but not as daunting now. And we need to change the windshield wipers on my car anyways, so I can scavenge them! Not to mention my dad was an electrician for something like 20 years, so I'm sure he'd be more than happy to help me with the electronics!

Thank you!

*sits and waits for payday so she can hit home depot*
TK565
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Heth
TK Number: 565

Post by TK565 »

He even made a Mara Jade version, came out pretty nice
http://www.illumisabers.com/32/index.html
David Heth TK/IG-565