The bucket has arrived!

Progress reports on costumes
DTR1
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Roate
TK Number: 6309

Re: The bucket has arrived!

Post by DTR1 »

These are the gloves I found. I'm not sure if they will work or not? Any feed back would be appreciated before I start cutting to mod. these baby's.

Thanks for the addvice the gloves have been " RETURNED! "

I purchased my material for my clone shoes, so I can begin the mock up with poster board tomorrow. I don"t have any measurements so I am going to have to go by my eye's and what others have done in the past. I will be using several different ideas from others to get them to work the way I want them to and keep with the visual style from the film.

AIN'T MULTI TASKING GREAT!

DTR
Last edited by DTR1 on Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
the dark knight
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member
First Name: Jon
Last Name: Jones
TK Number: 9892

Post by the dark knight »

good work man! see, bondo aint that scarry :lol: the person to get a hold of on those gloves is kbfett (ken) here on this board. ken is our current GML, and he has final say if your gear is approved. i would ask him. :D
"You know its sad but true!"
DTR1

Post by DTR1 »

I could have just bought some clone shoes. I for one want the satisfaction of the build so I bought a $19 pair of Starter brand, white leather shoes from Walmart size 12. I just finished the templates for the right shoe and the left shoe will get done soon. I purchased some white vinyl from a local store for $18 bucks for one yard of fabric. I will post pics of my build here tomorrow. I will have to see what I can use to solve the problem others have had in the past with the bending at the toe.

Total investment so far:
$19- shoes
$18- white vinyl
$7- Extra strength Shoe Goo

$44- Grand Total
DTR1

Post by DTR1 »

Pictures of my templates. E3 Clone

First the toe filler Piece.

Second side filler Piece x2. One installs over the other.

Front view with filler pieces laid out.

The entire shoe Laid out and ready for transfer to vinyl.

One shoe template down and one more to go.
DTR1

Post by DTR1 »

Back to the Bucket! Did three more coats of bondo. I figured that while I was at it I may as well get it all.
I took notice that the only part of the bucket mold that just didn't stand out much was the plate in the back.

I looked around the house and found an old vinyl window blind off of a set of foe window blinds we have in our home. I sanded off the wood grain with some 400grt and used the dremel with a special blade to cut the groves in. It was good but I used some bondo to fill the groves and then sanded them to get them even and straight.

I sanded off the top with a sanding block to clean it up.

Then I measured and gut it down with a chop saw.

Cut the bottom piece and trimmed the vertical piece with the groves with a exacto knife.

Dry fit them to make sure they fit good before gluing down with adhesive. They fit nice and snug.

I will let the adhesive set over night and them I will bondo any seams and sand smooth and then I'm ready for Primer! :D
DTR1

Post by DTR1 »

My first coat of primer is on but I'm not a big fan of the primer. It was a Rust-Oleum Filler Primer. I would not recommend it at all it did not live up to it's label. It did not fill any gaps or minor imperfections. I will use Rust-Oleum again but a different kind for the last coat. On a positive note, I'm glad I used it for the first coat only! I will wet sand it down and fill all the minor imperfections with touch up bondo and wet sand it and prim again.

I am extremely happy with the filler piece that I installed in the back of the bucket. :D

Painters tape removed. For your viewing pleasure!

Next up, PAINT!
the dark knight
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member

dont forget to wet sand it with 1000 grit after it has dried for 12-24 hours. then do your color. 8)
DTR1

Post by DTR1 »

I'm so sick of sand paper it's not funny! I sanded the first set of primer down removing some of the filler primer. FYI. that stuff sucks do not use it! I should have read the label more closely. Oh, did I say that filler primer sucks! Let me say it again, IT SUCKS! If you use it be prepared to be a tad bit pissed off. I'll post more picks when I get the paint on the bucket. Right now it looks like an Imperial Train wreck.
the dark knight
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member

hmmm.... wonder if they changed the formula. in the past its worked for me.... sorry to hear that dallas, but thats what it has to be. the standard rustoleum primer is good as well.
timbremer
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Bremer
TK Number: 4290

Post by timbremer »

Bondo makes a UV setting spot putty you can use to fill the pin holes that is much easier to use in small amounts than having to mix up some body filler. it is available at most parts houses. it works great.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... H36GL4JNbl

if you still have problems with that high solids scratch filling primer, you might look into using some regular spot/glazing putty as well since it is just really thick primer, but i would use the UV setting stuff. it sets up just like bondo. the high solids primer sands easier when you use wet/dry sand paper and plenty of water to help keep the grit on it clean of the solids in the primer.
Peace is a lie; there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall set me free.
DTR1

Post by DTR1 »

THX , I figured out a few things I didn't let the primer cure long enough. The can said 2 to 4 hrs. I dry sanded it last night and I think I'm ok. Its a smooth finish and I was able to correct my mistake of hitting the primer after 4 hrs. If I were to put in my two cents, I would have to agree with Jon and say let it sit for at least 12 to 24hrs. I let it set over night and it seams to have set up good. I'm going to let it set today and try regular primer before I hit it with paint.
Yes I will hit it with a good wet sanding with 1000grt first.

Thanks for the help all.
Last edited by DTR1 on Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the dark knight
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member

you do want to let your color sit for atleast 24 hours before you wet sand it for the next coat. i should have told you about letting the primer sit and cure. sorry man.....
DTR1

Post by DTR1 »

Not a problem! No worries I have redeemed myself. I got it all smoothed out and hit it with a second coat of primer. I am going to let it set up for a day. Then wet sand it again. No worries Jon, it was my bad. As far as the filler primer goes I'm still not a fan but it didn't ruin my bucket so I'm good. :D FYI to anyone who is going to use it, just know ahead of time it is not like reg. primer. :grinno:
DTR1

Post by DTR1 »

Just got the amp. in the mail and it works great. Now I need to download some mp3 sound effects for it. I got the Under armour in as well. Gloves are on order and I have my eye on an antena for the com. pad for the back of my clone. Let me know what you think?

It may need a little tweaking.
DTR1

Post by DTR1 »

Left clone shoe stencil done. Now with both shoes done I will post pics of assembly in the next few days.