Progress reports on costumes
HockeyTrooper
First Name: Bennett
Last Name: Gladden
TK Number: 4674

C-3PO: We seem to be made to suffer.

Post by HockeyTrooper »

Hey guys,
I know many of you have heard about the 3PO project several times and have probably thought that I've given it up since there have been no progress updates. However, I'm going to try to start documenting things on here soon. I've got a few details left to work out on a new rotocast helmet that I purchased before it will be wearable. I'll post pictures of it after I get through this week of tests.

The most important updated (to me at least) is that I'm finally the next full kit being produced. Since the kits are fiberglass and are pretty much only available from a single supplier it takes about 2 months for him to have his shop put together and ship out a kit. Of course once the kit gets here I probably wont really have time to work on it until the summer, but every few weekends or so I'll try to get some work in on it. During the process of assembling I'd like to include anyone in the garrison who is interested in getting involved, so if you are interested let me know and we'll work out a weekend or something where I take a day trip to Wichita, Springfield or STL to work with people who are interested.

I plan on getting the parts vac metalized after I assemble everything. There is a company in Iowa who did a great job on one of the guys from Myth Buster's 3PO display suits, so I will probably use them unless anyone knows of a company in KC or MO that would be willing to take on the project.

What's all this mean as far as the timeline goes? It is probably looking like next Fall (possibly in time for Ep. 2 and 3) will be when the whole thing is finished up.

I'll get you guys some bucket pictures at the end of next week.

-Bennett
Culvan
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison
First Name: Andy
Last Name: Shimamoto
TK Number: 2265

Re: C-3PO: We seem to be made to suffer.

Post by Culvan »

That's awesome. I look forward to following your progress. Good luck with the build. I'm sure there are going to be some armor parties. Might be a good time for us to see if we can some progress done together.

Andy
Dwootan
Garrison Captain of the Guard
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Wootan
TK Number: 9668

Post by Dwootan »

HockeyTrooper wrote: What's all this mean as far as the timeline goes? It is probably looking like next Fall (possibly in time for Ep. 2 and 3) will be when the whole thing is finished up.
I can't wait to see more on this one. I've not done that suit before, but if you need help, you have my assistance.

You know that if you time it right, you could paint it to look lik 3PO from Ep. 2 for Ep. 2 3-D and then have it metalized afterwards for Ep. 3 3-D.
Dave "Hot Dog" Wootan
AR - 9668
Firehawk Squad

In umbris potestas est
HockeyTrooper

Post by HockeyTrooper »

Updates and some progress for those of you who can't see me on facebook!
Talk about a tight fit!

Here's what I am trying to do with the legs. The command hooks are too big to fit with my leg so I will likely find a different sort of hook that isn't as bulky that I can fiberglass into place.

In the lower half of the leg I will probably be using elastic with a lock and key mechanism to help the pieces line up, you can sort of see it at the far end of this picture:

Test fit of the arm without pistons. I will be needing to open up the upper arm about an inch and then re-fiberglass the opening to give myself a little more room.
Darth Gius
Commanding Officer
Commanding Officer
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Heffernan
TK Number: 8294

Post by Darth Gius »

That's going to be awesome, Bennett!
Rich Heffernan
TI/IC-8294
70th Explorers Garrison Commanding Officer

Gius Maximus
Rebel Legion - Dantooine Base Commanding Officer

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/richard.heffernan.3
Dirty
First Name: Miles
Last Name: McBroome
TK Number: 34789

Post by Dirty »

SO jealous just saying
In Dirty we trust
TK-34789
TK_9010
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison
First Name: Trenton
Last Name: Tobin
TK Number: 9010

Post by TK_9010 »

You're braver then I thought.

Ok I have to say I'm getting excited every time I see progress on this, Can't wait to see you with an R2 .
DZ-9010
70th Explorers Garrison GML(2013)
Kilted Trooper Brigade
Vader's Skater Founder
HockeyTrooper

Post by HockeyTrooper »

Here is the setup for one of my hands. I didn't quite get the pinky glued on straight and I definitely still need to open the wrist up some, it was biting pretty hard. Right now everything is hot glued because it is temporary. When it gets sent off for vac metallizing or painting all strapping will need to come out and then I'll reassemble it once I get it back. I mostly putting things together to make sure that the idea works before I plan on an idea working and end up finding out that it doesnt.
Deadpool
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Hamilton
TK Number: 13731

Post by Deadpool »

So you'll be wearing a one piece compression suit underneath?
HockeyTrooper

Post by HockeyTrooper »

Deadpool wrote:So you'll be wearing a one piece compression suit underneath?
It will probably be a 2 piece compression, same as what is worn for TKs, but I will have a special one made up for 3PO because in the opening at the elbows and back of the legs I will probably use something to give a wire appearance on the shirt, like those paint markers or something. The belly area is a ribbed rubber matting that I still need to cut down to size and add belly wires to. Gloves will be some sort of black gloves with square brass brads in the palm and wires drawn on them with the paint markers again. I get to wear kung fu shoes underneath the 3PO shoe shells.
HockeyTrooper

Post by HockeyTrooper »

Well, I have finally received my schedule for summer classes which means I can finally send out my call for assistance.

Most of the stuff with 3PO I can handle and will be able to put together, but there is one major aspect I need some assistance with. The bicep pieces need to be expanded about a half inch to an inch at the upper end of the arms. I have absolutely zero experience with fiberglass. I'm looking for someone who is confident in their fiberglass ability to help me with this. I'm willing to travel to STL, Springfield or Wichita if I have to. I can post a picture later of the kind of expansion I will be looking at doing. I am done with summer classes by June 14th and would like to try and do this arm expansion either in June or early July so I can finish costume assembly by the end of July before classes start. Please let me know if you are interested in helping with this!

In addition to that, if anyone would like to be a part of the work on 3PO I can always use help sanding parts and such (which is the majority of the work that needs to be done).

Thanks!

Oh, here is a progress video I made regarding the leg assembly method that I'm working on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xXvcpHXXBg
Grand Moff Verkessch
First Name: Eric
Last Name: Wickes
TK Number: 6720

Post by Grand Moff Verkessch »

Looks great, cant wait for the finished product!!!
Eric Wickes
ID6720 soon to be TS6720!!!!!!

70th Explorers Garrison
Imperial Officer Corps
Blizzard Force
HockeyTrooper

Post by HockeyTrooper »

Some more updates! Legs and torso mods.

Legs:

Torso:

Video update (It is a bit lengthy, but some people might be interested in it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... W6hsosK1sk
HockeyTrooper

Post by HockeyTrooper »

HockeyTrooper

Post by HockeyTrooper »

Been super busy with school, sorry for lack of updates. I've had this for about 2 months now, hopefully be able to finish assembly this summer.

I sent this off in January and it took until about mid-April to get it back. The actually work was finished in February but it was a little difficult communicating with and making the transaction between here and Canada. But it's all good now and Canada is no longer holding my droid hostage! Here's to finishing this after I get through Step 1 of my boards.

And finally I did do a little work to assemble the helmet for a presentable picture:

So, coming to you late this summer/early fall!