JH Iron Man Helmet Build Tutorial

Post your question, tips, or tutorials for all Star Wars related costumes here.
judge_hellfast
First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Haze
TK Number: 4293

JH Iron Man Helmet Build Tutorial

Post by judge_hellfast »

STEP (1) Raw Kit
Clam Shell Halves -Pic to come

STEP (2) Glue the Clam shells flush to one another and begin the bondo process. Once bondo has been smoothed out completely to your liking, add the ear caps and utilize bondo for any areas of the ear cap that don't lay flush to the bucket. Let bondo dry.

STEP (3) Modify helmet to your liking. Notice I cut some of the cheek away on my helmet and added bondo to give it a nice straight edge look to the face line. Once bondo has fully dried, shoot it with a good coating of Primer. I also hit this with Gloss White Paint over the Primer as Gloss paint is a thick and heavy paint which will get rid of any pin needle areas on your project. Notice I also added button screws for details to the bucket as well.

STEP (4) Primer coating must be fully dry before you continue. Next step is to paint the entire bucket with HOT ROD RED or a red of your choosing. Allow the red to fully dry before applying the Gold or yellow paint. You may also want to seal the Hot Rod Red in place by giving it a good spray of High Gloss Coating. This will allow you to take out any of the gold overspray that you will apply in the next step. Wet sanding is also a nice added bonus for smoothing out the rough paint speckles. I utilized Metallic Gold...not the best choice as this is difficult paint to work with...real difficult. I would recommend using something else such as Acrylic yellow and gold for the face outlining. You'll notice I have a couple little ripples in the face from the gold paint. I also utilized a black wash to help the curves and such stand out a little more and took a little creative liberty with some black outlining.

STEP (5) Add the neck ring. The neck will actually swivel so your head can fit inside, but gives it that nice neck ring look. I may work on a couple other painting pieces, before I'm finished. Pics to come.

STEP (6) This step will illustrate how to install the light-up eyes. Pics and tutorial to come.
Last edited by judge_hellfast on Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rebelbuttkicker
First Name: Greg
Last Name: Gentry
TK Number: 0

Post by rebelbuttkicker »

cool
Incognito Trooper
judge_hellfast
First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Haze
TK Number: 4293

Post by judge_hellfast »

I took a little liberty with the paint job. I'm still not real happy with it, but may touch it up before it's all said and done.

AND, for those of you who can tell me who the following is gets a free cookie. This is next on the to-do list. It's pretty rough, but coming along nicely:

kbfett
First Name: Ken
Last Name: Beckwith
TK Number: 6555

Post by kbfett »

I KNOW I KNOW!!!!!
Ken Beckwith
TK/TC/BH 6555
70th Explorers Garrison

TK565
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Heth
TK Number: 565

Post by TK565 »

Me too.
David Heth TK/IG-565
Garrison Awsomeness Liaison
70th Explorers Garrison
http://whomix.trilete.net
TK 3181
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member
First Name: Brandon
Last Name: Lauthern
TK Number: 3181

Post by TK 3181 »

I do!
Brandon Lauthern

**Crushing the Rebellion...LIKE A BOSS!!**
rebelbuttkicker
First Name: Greg
Last Name: Gentry

Post by rebelbuttkicker »

Of course we all do :lol:
Incognito Trooper
DarthStewie
First Name: Jeremy
Last Name: Fjorir

Re: JH Iron Man Helmet Build Tutorial

Post by DarthStewie »

Looks great, Judge. Will you be doing anything to give it a shiny metallic look? I think it'd be cool to do a Mark 2 version of the helmet, but it'd have to have that chrome look. Awesome project! I can't wait to see more.

I think I know the trivia answer as well....