Request help with a potential gift

Post your question, tips, or tutorials for all Star Wars related costumes here.
hammerb
First Name: Bryon
Last Name: Hammer
TK Number: 2933

Request help with a potential gift

Post by hammerb »

I am interested in making my wife a very unique gift. However I have no idea where to begin. I am wanting to build a prop of her frozen in carbonite for an anniversary or possibly a birthday. After watching Kevin and Olivia complete this task on Attack of the Show I believe that I can accomplish this same thing. However I have no idea what materials I will need and who I can turn to who has the tools I need to buy or borrow. I live in the Kansas City area and am very serious about doing this project. However I need some help. If anyone out there can direct me to someone or give me some pointers I will be very happy.
judge_hellfast
First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Haze
TK Number: 4293

Re: Request help with a potential gift

Post by judge_hellfast »

You seek the help of Tim Bremer. He'll be able to help you with the life casts you'll need as well as guide you with the materials needed to do the casts. The carbonite box part is the simple part and can be made from insulation foam and plastic parts and greeblies depending on how heavy you want to go.

You'll want to check out smoothon.com for your materials.
kbfett
First Name: Ken
Last Name: Beckwith
TK Number: 6555

Post by kbfett »

It's going to be very difficult to do a lifecast of her and still suprise her. :D
Ken Beckwith
TK/TC/BH 6555
70th Explorers Garrison

timbremer
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Bremer
TK Number: 4290

Post by timbremer »

you can say that again! unless you get some of the stuff ken used on his wife when he got her pregnant....... joking there ken :wavey:
i will see about sending some info your way after work, they won't let me play on here long, if i were a designer i could do it all day! :heh:
Peace is a lie; there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall set me free.
kbfett
First Name: Ken
Last Name: Beckwith
TK Number: 6555

Post by kbfett »

timbremer wrote:you can say that again! unless you get some of the stuff ken used on his wife when he got her pregnant....... joking there ken :wavey:
We used the back seat of a Kia Spectra if that helps.
Ken Beckwith
TK/TC/BH 6555
70th Explorers Garrison

timbremer
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison

Post by timbremer »

the stuff wally was using at http://environmolds.com/product_info.ph ... ucts_id=37 looks very promising. if you were to use the smoothon equivalent it would cost you a couple hundred dollars to just make the mold for the cast, but their lifecasting silicon does last forever. the alginate must be used quickly, it won't bond to itself once it sets up, and most of them will set up in 5 minutes or so depending on temp. if you check out you tube and do a search for life casting you will see the smoothon videos. they are good but have been shortened, plus it is good to notice how many helpers are around mixing the alginate to keep a steady and fast supply coming. just to do a lifecast of my head and neck took almost an hour. you have to reinforce the alginate/silicon with plaster of paris bandages as well and letting it all set up as well as reinforcing it will take a couple of hours. stay away from using plaster of paris bandages for your molds, hair encapsulation even with vaseline can be brutal to the model, it hurt like made with the smoothon silicon, they do have an additive now that does away with that problem and i can say that it does work.

if you go to the smoothon site they have licensed dealers of their product and there is one in KC, you might stop in at that one and see what they recommend. smooton also has a new fake bronze material that you can use in a lifecast that looks just like a real bronze, there is a video of that on youtube as well. smoothon also is on facebook with many tips there as well.

it all comes down to how much you want to spend, my head and shoulder life casting cost around $300.00 for the silicon and the ultracal 30 which is used to make a life cast positive, and other supplies you will need. some of that cost was from experimentation with the stuff.

i have a dvd from another supplier showing in more detail how it is done if you wish i could send it to you. jon in st. louie you could benefit from seeing the dvd as well when you do your ironman lifecast.
Peace is a lie; there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall set me free.
the dark knight
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member
First Name: Jon
Last Name: Jones
TK Number: 9892

Post by the dark knight »

which reminds me, ive been very busy and will call you friday night on that. sorry, didnt mean to shun you......

and for everyone else, how much will a bag of that newer stuff cover?
"You know its sad but true!"
TK-4484
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison
First Name: Andy
Last Name: Bauer
TK Number: 4484

Post by TK-4484 »

kbfett wrote:
timbremer wrote:you can say that again! unless you get some of the stuff ken used on his wife when he got her pregnant....... joking there ken :wavey:
We used the back seat of a Kia Spectra if that helps.

TMI TMI TMI :eek:
Andy Bauer
TK-4484
70th Explorers
timbremer
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison

Post by timbremer »

http://www.smooth-on.com/Lifecasting/c1240/index.html videos listed at middle of page, the video of the nude model lifecasting is the one to watch.

http://www.smooth-on.com/gallery.php?ga ... cPath=1240 this link shows making a pregnancy casting with smooton stuff as well as the fake bronze material

http://www.smooth-on.com/Life-Casting-A ... catdepth=1 this is algi-safe they have made a non toxic alginate mix pricing of $178.00 for 20 lbs. i would estimate that to do a whole body it would easily take 60-80 lbs or more, this would be front and back of the person.

http://www.smooth-on.com/Life-Casting-B ... index.html the silicon life long stuff along with the new hyper-folic additive this stuff works much better than release cream, much better well worth the cost. gallon size cost for this is $401.00 in most of the videos they use just one gallon doing from the neck down to the knees and only the front half, so you should plan on at least 3 gallons for an all over casting.

none of this includes the price of plaster bandages($5-$8 a roll). ultracal30 http://www.monstermakers.com/product/ul ... ement.html at 35.00 per 50 lbs + shipping on that, an entire body might well take around 3 depending on how thick you take it and if you do a whole body.
http://www.smooth-on.com/Rigid-and-Flex ... index.html there is rigid and castable foam you can use at this link
http://www.smooth-on.com/gallery.php?ga ... cPath=1241 and here is the fake bronze stuff.

need anything more jon????? :wavey:
this is just from them, the site that wally put out there probably has their own versions of the same supplies. there are cheaper ways, though. you can wrap yourself in seran wrap (cling wrap) then get some buddies to take duct tape and wrap that around you as well then providing they don't do things to you while you can't move, the "suit" can be cut down the arms and torso and legs then retaped and filled with a minimally expanding foam. once dry cut tape and wrap off and you have a crude life cast, good enough for most buck projects, is that how you did it chris?
judge_hellfast
First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Haze
TK Number: 4293

Post by judge_hellfast »

Here's another way you could do this project and not let her know about it. :lol: :lol: :lol Just wait till she's asleep and snap a pic. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
ComicConCostumesPast8.jpg
ComicConCostumesPast8.jpg (105.32 KiB) Viewed 5834 times