Upgrading my old E-11

Post your question, tips, or tutorials for all Star Wars related costumes here.
TK 3181
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member
First Name: Brandon
Last Name: Lauthern
TK Number: 3181

Upgrading my old E-11

Post by TK 3181 »

Those of you who have trooped with me know that I have the "crappiest blaster in Southwest Missouri", which is almost humorous given that I am the guy who mods most everyone's sidearm down here. :) Truth be told, it was a steal on Ebay a looong time ago and probably got picked up out of the back yard by some parent wanting to make a buck on a toy that their kid didn't play with anymore. Long story and speculation aside, my blaster is a cosmetically modified Hasbro blaster that has never made any noise or had any lighting effects whatsoever. I am tired of telling kids that I "never keep it loaded" and being asked why everyone else's blaster works, but not mine. I have decided to finally do something about it.

So far, I have gutted it, sculpted a new muzzle piece and completely refitted it with new electronics. It makes 4 different sounds, has 4 red leds, a new firing stud, and a "rumble" motor, among other mods. I like 3 of the 4 sounds, which isn't bad considering that most of us dislike 50% of the two sounds our blasters make. (At least I only dislike 25%!) I am also not pleased with the firing stud/trigger, it ended up off-center and, being red looks funny. Once I get that reworked, I'll be addressing the scope for simulated nightvision and then reassembling and applying new paint. Here are a couple of pics for posterity sake.

Brandon Lauthern

**Crushing the Rebellion...LIKE A BOSS!!**
Dark One
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member
First Name: Eric
Last Name: Aggson
TK Number: 7013

Post by Dark One »

Dude!!!!!! You killed it.......... :eek: Good luck on the upgrades!!!!! I don't remember where but there was a place that made un upgrade kit for hasbro blasters. Sorry I can't remember what it is. Whitearmor.com might have the info.
Eric Aggson
TC-7013
TD-7013
CLONES RULE!!!!!!!
I am SWARSAG!!!!!!!!
judge_hellfast
First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Haze
TK Number: 4293

Post by judge_hellfast »

I wanted to say there was something about the upgrade for Kenners posted up on TK409's site as well. I can't remember. It has been a while since I visited his site. Looking good so far.
Dwootan
Garrison Captain of the Guard
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Wootan
TK Number: 9668

Post by Dwootan »

I've seen a kit from someone the UK and various parts from Ebay seller 502smallblock. On the UK, they make a kit for custom Hasbro and another for pipe builds. I can't find their website, but I know they also sell on Ebay.
Dave "Hot Dog" Wootan
AR - 9668
Firehawk Squad

In umbris potestas est
TX8633
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member
First Name: Todd
Last Name: Evans
TK Number: 8633

Post by TX8633 »

I've been keeping up with 3181's blaster upgrade stats... He's got it together! B's too creative for his own good. I swear, he must lay in bed at night and think of nothing else lately. Once you see what he was able to do, I'm sure you'll be impressed. Everyone will be coming to him for advice on fixin's and upgrades. Great job B-man... Keep us posted!
merrick
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member
First Name: Matthew
Last Name: Bakeberg
TK Number: 8947

Post by merrick »

Tk 3181 did the mods to just about all the E-11s floating around the Springfield area and he does a great job!!! he makes all pieces to the stock, muzzle etc himself with pieces from Lowes. again GREAT WORK!!! next time you see one of us take a look at our blasters
TK-1161 Curt
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison
First Name: Curt
Last Name: Stanfill
TK Number: 1161

Post by TK-1161 Curt »

TX8633 wrote:Everyone will be coming to him for advice on fixin's and upgrades.
We already have. :D A bunch of people have bought the board kits and speakers that he has been using in his bucket. It worked out really well.
Curt Stanfill
TK-1161 / ID-1161 / DZ-1161
Gateway Squad
70th Explorers Garrison
TX8633
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member
First Name: Todd
Last Name: Evans
TK Number: 8633

Post by TX8633 »

Brandon really needs to start his own armor website, teach classes, and have unlimted resources at his disposal. We call him the "Master of arms" down here... (and other names behind his back...haha)
TK 3181
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member

Post by TK 3181 »

Wow, thanks for the kind words! I am glad the PA kits worked for you guys Curt, that's awesome.

I hope to get this done pretty soon. I am stalled right now because of time and parts. But, when I do get it finished up, I am building a couple of Blastech T-21s for Andy and myself. I am a draftsman by trade and I almost have a set of plans completed. They will be full sized with templates for cutting out the wood. I'd really like to document the progress and actually put together a really nice set of build instructions with plans and step by step photos. What do you troops think?
Brandon Lauthern

Drago Lordist
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Schaeperkoetter
TK Number: 7221

Post by Drago Lordist »

sounds good! if you need an extra hand remember I'm in the area and I'll try to make it over. love to help ya out.
Steve Schaeperkoetter - Albin's Head Generalissimo
RL/JA: Drago Lordist - KJO, WHP, RLSC
501st: DZ/IC/SL/SL/IC 7221 - GWL
Road Squadron
rebelbuttkicker
First Name: Greg
Last Name: Gentry
TK Number: 0

Post by rebelbuttkicker »

I don't know what the heck a T-21 is (the oversized rifle right?), but that would be AWESOME! :rockin:
Incognito Trooper
TK 3181
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member

Post by TK 3181 »

This is the T-21:
Brandon Lauthern

rebelbuttkicker
First Name: Greg
Last Name: Gentry
TK Number: 0

Post by rebelbuttkicker »

That's what I thought... Hang on, let me clean the drool off of my moniter. :lol:
Incognito Trooper
TK 3181
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member

Post by TK 3181 »

I know what you mean. I printed off a 1:1 set of plans last night and the page is 24"x57"! This thing is actually bigger than it looks. The Lewis Gun that it is made from is one large, water-cooled, BFG! I am soo excited to get started on this one! I just gotta get my sidearm done first....there's just not enough time in the day. On the plus side, I think the E-11 is ready for reassembly and painting now. . .if it were warm enough to paint. Damn this weather. :x
Brandon Lauthern

TK 3181
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member

Post by TK 3181 »

My kids were home sick from School yesterday. So, I made some more progress on the E-11. All of the electronics are now finished. The scope illuminates green to simulate nightvision, the 4 red LEDS pulse in sync with the sound effects and the whole gun vibrates in your hand as you fire it. I also epoxied the new custom muzzle piece on and screwed the housing back together. All I have left to do is assemble the ends/lenses of the scope (which is going to look 100% better than the hasbro mold) and re-rivet the simulated folding stock to the bottom of the gun. Then, I have to mask off the important areas, apply paint and then weather it all up.
I'll post some pics soon.

Then, funds allowing, I will start getting the T-21 underway.
:twisted:
Brandon Lauthern