Not exactly armor...

Post your question, tips, or tutorials for all Star Wars related costumes here.
Dr. No
TK Number: 0

Not exactly armor...

Post by Dr. No »

I've had this done for a while now and realized I never did a show off thread so here it is.

http://s336.photobucket.com/albums/n335 ... _my_albums

It's made out of aluminum and I did all the welding and everything myself. The heating element is in the top and unfortunatly uses alot of power so you have to plug each of them into sockets on a different breaker, maybe our breaker is set low but yeah. The tray/plastic holder is a little over 21.5 inches across on the inside I've done a couple pulls in styrene and at the moment I am out of plastic and a lack of a cool mold. The few times I've used it so far though it's worked great. And just as a side not does anyone else have a vac former?[/img]
Every Stormtrooper is just one abs glue mistake away from a Sandtrooper
judge_hellfast
First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Haze
TK Number: 4293

Post by judge_hellfast »

I know a couple people that have one. ;) I'd be interested to see what you come up with in your mold making adventure. Please share any techniques you may find when putting together molds.
TK 3181
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member
First Name: Brandon
Last Name: Lauthern
TK Number: 3181

Post by TK 3181 »

I know some peeps too. Keep us posted on your progress.
Brandon Lauthern

**Crushing the Rebellion...LIKE A BOSS!!**
Culvan
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison
First Name: Andy
Last Name: Shimamoto
TK Number: 2265

Post by Culvan »

Nice looking machine. I'm having trouble picking out all the details though. It looks like an over-under.

I'm in the same boat. I made my vac former and I don't know what to do with it yet. The test pulls seem to work well. I'm trying my hand at sculpting right now to see if I can make some good molds.

I anticipated that I would've had the same problem blowing breakers. There were only a couple that could take the load in my house and the easiest one to get at was for my dryer. I've got mine setup using two phase power which basically cuts the current draw in half (for purposes of calculating the breaker load).

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but here are pictures of my machine. It's a side by side that folds up. I'm currently using it as a table in my work area.

Andy
Dr. No
TK Number: 0

Post by Dr. No »

Thanks for the replies! at the moment I don't have any set in stone plans for molds but the ideas are definetly flowing. Culvan; yeah the heat is in the top box and has some pegs to hold the plastic holder frame. then when it droops enough I can just set it down right below. Is your a thurston james? I looked and toyed around with the idea of building one of those but I was intimidated by the heating element.
Every Stormtrooper is just one abs glue mistake away from a Sandtrooper
Culvan
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison
First Name: Andy
Last Name: Shimamoto
TK Number: 2265

Post by Culvan »

Dr. No wrote:Is your a thurston james? I looked and toyed around with the idea of building one of those but I was intimidated by the heating element.
Yes it's a Thurston James design with the added design to fold it over. I got that idea over on TK560's vaccum forming discussion forum. I'd recommend joining it if you haven't already found it. My plastic frame is 24"x24".

Andy