Interesting debate -Are kids becoming less creative?

This one is a free-for-all fun forum. Keep the conversation civil though!
judge_hellfast
First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Haze
TK Number: 4293

Interesting debate -Are kids becoming less creative?

Post by judge_hellfast »

There is an interesting discussion on the RPF concerning children becoming less creative and how our school systems are setting our children up to be less creative. I was a public school teacher and I'm also a parent so this discussion hit home for me.

The video segment was fun to watch. I'd love to hear your thoughts :

http://timetowrite.blogs.com/weblog/201 ... +to+Write)

VIDEO
http://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_s ... ivity.html
the dark knight
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member
First Name: Jon
Last Name: Jones
TK Number: 9892

Re: Interesting debate -Are kids becoming less creative?

Post by the dark knight »

i have to agree with them becoming less creative. it seems to me, when i was in high school (4 years ago) that the school systems are putting less and less emphasis on art classes, bands, ect. they are soooo consumed with computer technology trying to push that instead. im glad i had taken fab shop, woodworking, and art & scupture. sure made this hobby way easier. i doubt TV has really caused it (or video games). ever played force unleashed? you HAVE to be creative to beat that game. i do feel the schools are mostly responsible, i mean, some schools make you pay for the lessons and supplies to participate, and most parents (not all) wont pay extra to have thier kids play with clay or sheet metal... the list goes on. if i ever have kids, if the school system wont teach these things, i will. i feel there should be less time learning physics in 11th grade, and instead you should be learning our history of where we have been and how to create things on your own, to think outside the box. force the brain to work. who needs physics and advanced biology in 11th grade? really, thats college stuff.

i think that living in this fast paced world may have done it too. i do agree with the part of the artical talking about cooking your own food. most would rather eat out (not healthy) or cooking a TV dinner in the microwave (BLAH!). 4484 cooks some of THE best food ive had (next to mom's). he is not afraid to change the recipie if makes it better. hence, he is creative.

wow! i rambled a bit there, but that is how i feel about the subject. 8)
"You know its sad but true!"