Google Fiber

This one is a free-for-all fun forum. Keep the conversation civil though!
mrivorey
First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Moody
TK Number: 394
Droids Owned: R2-D2

Google Fiber

Post by mrivorey »

So how many of you KC people are going to sign up for Google Fiber? 1,000 Mbs download AND UPLOAD!
Chris Moody, TK-394
Garrison Web Liaison / Webmaster
https://www.facebook.com/cmmoody
Nickel
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison
First Name: Nick
Last Name: Letcher
TK Number: 4792

Re: Google Fiber

Post by Nickel »

I would love to, but it isn't being offered in my area yet. It is also way more expensive than I can afford. So much for KC getting "free" Google Fiber. :roll:
:jawa:
DZ-4792
Firehawk Squad
Dman
Eternal Trooper
Eternal Trooper
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Bain
TK Number: 5266

Post by Dman »

Well techmically, they do have a free internet service, but it is at the standard speeds for broadband and it has a #00 one time construction fee, or you can make 12 $25 monthly payments, but they advertise it as "free..."
Tyran
First Name: Brandon
Last Name: Elliott
TK Number: 6388

Post by Tyran »

I'm getting this as soon as we get it down in Lenexa. I'm surprised they went so far south on the MO side but just went straight West on the KS side. If you look at the KS map it doesn't make much sense. Why are there lots in the middle of nowhere out West of Legends?!? Must be some Google exec's family or something.
KyrJorso
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison
First Name: Bruce
Last Name: Cottingham
TK Number: 7530

Post by KyrJorso »

I was the first to preregister in my area
Bruce "Matchstick" Cottingham

Proud to support the Endor Deforestation Project, in honour of our traumatized brothers.
gandalfbmg
First Name: Bart
Last Name: German
TK Number: 74205

Post by gandalfbmg »

Dman wrote:Well techmically, they do have a free internet service, but it is at the standard speeds for broadband and it has a #00 one time construction fee, or you can make 12 $25 monthly payments, but they advertise it as "free..."
If you pay $25/month or more now for Cable Internet or DSL, there is no reason NOT to take this option, when it's availble in your area... The speed will be the same (or even a little better, as no 'busy time slow down' from Cable and DSL just sucks), plus it's future-proofing your property when this technology is more common, it'll allow you to upgrade or be a selling point on your house...

Even the $120 price point is worth looking at... I'm not sure but I think this is pretty comparable to what a lot of us are probably paying today for our cable/DSL internet and cable/Satelite TV combined, and so getting this package is all that plus the gigabit speed... If they get the TV package a little more fleshed out (no Cartoon Network yet, can't watch Clone Wars) It'd be a no-brainer too, IMO...

Now the rollout was kinda meh... It's in KCK and KCMO only because those were the cities that 'won' the right to get it first. And even then, they're only offering the first phase to about 2/3 of KCK and 1/3 (if that) of KCMO, supposedly focusing on the more 'central' parts of the city 1) because they're tradionally undersevered compared to the more suburban areas and 2) they have higher population density so the installation will be more cost-effective. I'm not all that sad that the big JoCo burbs got ignored completely (you guys at least have a choice today between Cable internet providers at least), but as a KCMO resident in the northland it's a huge disapoointment that we still have to wait. But they say we'll get it before they open it to any of the JoCo burbs still at least (except for those few little ones that begged their way in, which I guess got in because they're in the 'crook' between the other two cities and it's easier to just connect through that area while they're in the area.)
Proudly Rebel Scum since 1978