Planet ComiCon moving to Bartle Hall

This one is a free-for-all fun forum. Keep the conversation civil though!
Terry19d
First Name: Terrill
Last Name: Handshy
TK Number: 2055

Planet ComiCon moving to Bartle Hall

Post by Terry19d »

What are people's opinions on PCC being at Bartle Hall at the beginning of April next year? Will the move affect your plans on going?

Personally I'm on the fence. On the one hand, I'm glad for the move because the con has definitely outgrown the Overland Park Trade Center. Just a handful of years ago it seemed as if the con was on the decline, but it has gone through a large resurgence the past 2-3 years. With it now being at Bartle, not only do I trust that the available space has grown, but also that the con can explore other avenues of expansion, ie: looking into after-con-hours events at nearby hotels or within Bartle.

The downsides for me is that it's now even further away (but it's closer to others, so it's pretty much a wash) and parking probably won't be free any longer. I'm curious to see if the organizers ramp up the guest list even more, because last year was probably the best PCC has ever had. Also interested to see the space and what all can be done to make it more organized and have fewer choke points. As far as the costuming groups go, hopefully we'll have more space not only for tables & photo ops, but for other activities like jail 'n bail, shoot-a-trooper (awesome event at CVI), and/or a return of the Droid Hunt.

So what are your thoughts on the move?
Terry H.
TK/CT/ID/SL-2055
mrivorey
First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Moody
TK Number: 394
Droids Owned: R2-D2

Re: Planet ComiCon moving to Bartle Hall

Post by mrivorey »

For those that don't know where it is: http://goo.gl/maps/WMgSV.
Chris Moody, TK-394
Garrison Web Liaison / Webmaster
https://www.facebook.com/cmmoody
mrivorey
First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Moody
TK Number: 394
Droids Owned: R2-D2

Post by mrivorey »

Last convention was over-crowded for sure. But a lot a things contributed to that. There were a lot a big name guests and the weather was awesome. Can't control the weather, but if they continue booking lots of popular guests, a move would be good.
Chris Moody, TK-394
Garrison Web Liaison / Webmaster
https://www.facebook.com/cmmoody
gandalfbmg
First Name: Bart
Last Name: German
TK Number: 74205

Post by gandalfbmg »

For those of you at CVI and saw how the 501st and Droid Builders had display rooms filled with props and photo op backdrops in addition to their tables, and the Rebel Legion and Mercs had large set/table areas in the main hall... I would hope that while I doubt the local groups individually could fill a room like that, maybe together we could (like each has a quarter corner of the room for their displays and tables) fill a Star Wars room. I know we have lots of large pieces already and more are in the works...
Proudly Rebel Scum since 1978
Dwootan
Garrison Captain of the Guard
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Wootan
TK Number: 9668

Post by Dwootan »

Awesome news. :)
Dave "Hot Dog" Wootan
AR - 9668
Firehawk Squad

In umbris potestas est
Captain Shiny @$$
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison
First Name: Laura
Last Name: Wootan
TK Number: 4809

Post by Captain Shiny @$$ »

I'm checking to see if we get decent changing space...It helps to have family running the convention center. ;) --no promises!!!
Laura Wootan
TK-4809
gandalfbmg

Post by gandalfbmg »

I don't wonder if we shouldn't set up a cross group committee for coordinating SW events, display/table space, etc. it's hard enough for one person to get a response from the show runner, so having a committee with different pieces run by different folks, one of whom's job is to be the contact with the show runners, might be most efficient all around.

EDIT: in more detail, this is what I'm thinking: One person from each group (501st, RL, Mercs, TDE, and possibly Saber Guild and R2 Builders if they want) who is in charge of each group's displays and table (and an officer - like the base CO or squad leader, etc. -can be in there if they aren't one of the other spots here). Then add a person to run large events that would cross groups, like one for Droid Hunt, one a social dinner afterward, etc. And finally one person to be the go between between all the above and the show runners; working on what space we have for our setups, on passes for the groups, etc. This person must be amenable and working in the interest of all groups though (I would probably not pass the neutrality test and wouldn't be a good choice, for example ;) ).
BedlamX
First Name: Tommy
Last Name: Sutton
TK Number: 33313

Post by BedlamX »

When I initially heard they were planning to move to a larger location, I had really hoped for a convention center/hotel combo area so we could all stay at the con site rather than staying off site and driving. I have never been to Bartle Hall, so I have nothing to really put in about the place. Hopefully there will be ample and relatively cheap parking for the con.
Dman
Eternal Trooper
Eternal Trooper
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Bain
TK Number: 5266

Post by Dman »

I used to work with the security director there and know the facility well. Parking tends to run about $3-5 depending on the site you park on event days, it is a HUGE facility (they host the World of Wheels car shows there every year) My only concern is that it lies right along an area we called "The Homeless Highway" which has as the name would suggest a LARGE indigent population so I hope and pray they will be providing us a secured dressing area so that we won't have to store our costume supplies in vehicles where they would provide temptation... :roll:
huntman
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member
First Name: jon
Last Name: huntman
TK Number: 9724

Post by huntman »

What hotels are around the area. Should we try to get a block of rooms.
Serty
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member
First Name: Josh
Last Name: Gann
TK Number: 1730

Post by Serty »

I'm curious to what the new admission price will be.
Joshua Gann CT-1730
Captain of the Guard / 70th Explorers Liaison
gandalfbmg

Post by gandalfbmg »

huntman wrote:What hotels are around the area. Should we try to get a block of rooms.
The hotels within walking distance (i.e. 1-3 blocks) of the convention center are the Downtown Marriott, the Holiday Inn Downtown Aladin, The Crowne Plaza Downtown, and Hilton President (the last one here is about halfway between the convention center and the Power and Light district, if the bars/restaurants there are of interest). I think they're all going to be pretty pricey, or else dicey. Anything cheaper is going to be far enough away you'll have to drive in and still pay for convention center parking.

Now, I explored the group block thing a couple years ago for PCC, and what I found is that the vast majority of folks coming in are looking to stay free or cheap, and were willing to stay further away from the convention center to do so; though driving and parking there was free, so the new location may change that somewhat. Also, there wasn't even that many folks staying at the 'official' hotels for the con or the the ones rigth behind the old location, both of which were ususally priced about $80-$90/night. Which tells me the 'magic price point' is less than $80 a night... Not sure we're talking enough rooms to get below that price in these hotels, but who knows... It may be worth exploring... We pool with the other SW groups and we might get closer... And if we have an official hotel, that might also give us an 'in' for social gathring location, especially if these places don't force you to use in-house catering we could possible get somthing going on that front too...
Serty wrote:I'm curious to what the new admission price will be.
I'm gonna put on my devining hat make a wild guess: $40 for a weekend pass. About double what it is now. It's probably still underpriced for a show in a loction this big, but it's still gonna tick people off becauce there's a very vocal minority of folks (read the PCC facebook wall) who consider this their 'bargain' show and aren't happy about anything that threatens that, and anything more than a doublig, not matter what the justification, will give those folks fits...
KyrJorso
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison
First Name: Bruce
Last Name: Cottingham
TK Number: 7530

Post by KyrJorso »

gandalfbmg wrote:there's a very vocal minority of folks (read the PCC facebook wall) who consider this their 'bargain' show and aren't happy about anything that threatens that, and anything more than a doublig, not matter what the justification, will give those folks fits...
Booooo hoo. Not all of us can afford to go to all the expensive-ass cons each year.
(sorry, crap day at work spilled over into my free time...)
Bruce "Matchstick" Cottingham

Proud to support the Endor Deforestation Project, in honour of our traumatized brothers.
Nickel
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison
First Name: Nick
Last Name: Letcher
TK Number: 4792

Post by Nickel »

If it is over $40 for the weekend, I probably won't be going. I definitely won't be staying in a hotel unless there is a good reason for me to do so, since I live here in town.

If they raise their ticket prices, they need to significantly improve their programming. Their guest list is usually pretty good, but people aren't going to pay $40 to go shopping. They need some new stuff, otherwise people will quit coming.

I imagine there will be a slight ticket hike, but I think they will probably raise table/booth prices also. We'll have to wait and see.
:jawa:
DZ-4792
Firehawk Squad
dennybobbutt
First Name: dennis
Last Name: butt
TK Number: 0

Post by dennybobbutt »

I heard that Bruce cambell was gonna be headliner on guest and that if he is he that his prices will run like they do at the big cons about $100 for autograph and pic but like I said it was a rumor that I have heard film a few peeps ........I will have to donate plasma for like a month just to get in and get a pic and autograph