Dumb question but worth asking.

Post your question, tips, or tutorials for all Star Wars related costumes here.

is it cheaper to buy armor or make it?

Buy
100%
Make
No votes

Total votes: 4
UseTheForce
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison
First Name: Jen
Last Name: K
TK Number: 2293

Dumb question but worth asking.

Post by UseTheForce »

Ok I have been wondering, where in the world can you buy a vacume table, and how do you get the lil pattern designs to make armor and helmets for a trooper? It's to exspencive to buy it, I figure make it while I'm still young. lol. any one know of any places? thanks again

Jen
judge_hellfast
First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Haze
TK Number: 4293

Post by judge_hellfast »

This question is a double edged sword or a catch 22 per say. The answer to your question is that it is both cheaper to buy and make your own armor. I know this doesn't help much.

Anyhow, unless you are able to get parts for free to make a vac table or are able to find plastic for a reasonable price or able to get material to make molds and such for your vac table...you probably will pay less to just buy a set of armor.

However, if you are looking into making things like a blaster and can get a reasonable price on material and have the tools to do these types of things, it would be cheaper. You might be able to put together a few of your armor parts as well depending upon which costume you are looking forward to assembling.

I know this deosn't help a ton. My suggestion is that you research, research, research.

What costume are you thinking about putting together? This would help determine the best approach.
UseTheForce
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison

Post by UseTheForce »

I was thinking of putting a storm trooper costume together, so when I turn 18 I can hopefuly join the Garrison :) I wanted to get a head start heehee. I found out how to make a vacume table but then its like "how does that work?" lol.

Troopy
Dr. No
TK Number: 0

Post by Dr. No »

Hi, I'm really into the vacuu form thing so here's some info. For the table it can cost from nothing to... well as high as you want to go. The easiest way for you to rig one up is with and old table and a shop vac. That's what it would take for the table. You also have to fashion some sort of frame to hold the plastic and make an airtight seal between the table and frame. The third thing you'll need is a heating device. You can use you oven but I wouldnt recomend it. I use two high powered shop space heaters. not the cheapest thing but it works great and pretty even. I've also done a few demonstrations for people so the most simple way for me to explain it without a video or whatnot would be to use the Capri Sun. If you've ever drank one you'll know exactly how this works. When you suck into a caprisun you get a perfect impression of the straw. Likewise when you suck the air out of the space between the frame and the table the plastic formes in most cases perfectly around the mold. If you need anymore info just ask. I have a pretty industrial one. It's welded together from alumminum.
Every Stormtrooper is just one abs glue mistake away from a Sandtrooper
UseTheForce
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison

Post by UseTheForce »

Dr. No wrote:Hi, I'm really into the vacuu form thing so here's some info. For the table it can cost from nothing to... well as high as you want to go. The easiest way for you to rig one up is with and old table and a shop vac. That's what it would take for the table. You also have to fashion some sort of frame to hold the plastic and make an airtight seal between the table and frame. The third thing you'll need is a heating device. You can use you oven but I wouldnt recomend it. I use two high powered shop space heaters. not the cheapest thing but it works great and pretty even. I've also done a few demonstrations for people so the most simple way for me to explain it without a video or whatnot would be to use the Capri Sun. If you've ever drank one you'll know exactly how this works. When you suck into a caprisun you get a perfect impression of the straw. Likewise when you suck the air out of the space between the frame and the table the plastic formes in most cases perfectly around the mold. If you need anymore info just ask. I have a pretty industrial one. It's welded together from alumminum.
Sweet this helps alot!!! we have a tiny vac at my school but it only does so much. A pic of a vacume table might help, I know there is a site with a couple of pics, but they don't show up for me sadly :( Thanks a bunch again!!! your rule!

Troopy
(Jen)