Catharsis

This one is a free-for-all fun forum. Keep the conversation civil though!
standtrooper
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Orr
TK Number: 2030

Catharsis

Post by standtrooper »

It's just about every day that you can learn something about yourself, or remember something you may have forgotten. Today was one of those days for me.

When I joined the Legion back in 2005, I was numero quatro in the SGF area. I had tried to join the legion prior to my Iraq deployment and then I was, well, deployed. Most everyone, if not everyone, in the Legion knows about the events of August 2005 when Katie Johnson lost her battle. I can not tell you how many days I cried after that. I have hugged my kids every night since and when I tuck them in I always tell them I love them. I never leave the house without doing the same thing.

On to my reason for posting. In nearly 16 years of Army service I have visited a lot of kids in hospitals or even at their houses because they wanted to meet an "army guy." It is those visits that I wish I had my tk helmet on to hide the tears (remembering that I'd have to make sure I didn't have an amp on.)

Children are my kryptonite. I'd rather spend the rest of my life back in Iraq with no weapon and no body armor than have to go through what Albin and his family (and so many others I've met) did. Since I've been back from Iraq I've had a lot of people tell me that it takes a special kind of person to do what I did. Or many other things that include bravery, courage, etc. While any, or all, of that may be true, I don't see it. What I do see and will fully acknowledge at any time, is that the parents of these children and the siblings of these children are the strongest people I've ever met, and the children are more brave and courageous than any one I've ever met in any branch of the military.

This came up for several reasons, but the major one being that I cry every time I see the RT-KT patch or the droid. I'm not afraid nor ashamed to admit it and I know there are others that feel the same.

Oh crap, I've got to go, I'm tearing up again.

I just wanted to say that the catharsis of making a child smile, sick or otherwise, is one of the greatest feelings in the world... and when you have made a child smile one day and they are no longer with us the next, it is also one of the saddest moments I have ever felt.
Don't forget to "Give it up for a Trooper",

timo
TK-2030
StandTrooper
JLo Hoff Trooper
StandTrooper.com
70th Explorers
70thExplorers.com
501st Legion
www.501st.com
kbfett
First Name: Ken
Last Name: Beckwith
TK Number: 6555

Re: Catharsis

Post by kbfett »

Your post alone has put a lump in my throat. Very well put Tim. Just last weekend a buddy of mine was over and we were hanging out in my "toy room". He noticed the Pink R2 and that gave me a chance to tell him about Albin and Katie and how an entire legion along with Hasbro and Lucasfilm and especially the R2 builders got behind that little girl. My buddy was the little brother of my best friend from grade schoolo who had died in 1999 from lymphoma. Relating Katies story of course brought up memories about his brother ( my best friend) and before you knew it we both had a tears welling in our eyes and our voices became that weird lump in your throat voice. It felt good to remember Shawn but also to share Katies story and create another fan of the little pink droid that appeared on Clone Wars. Tim thanks for reminding us all to appreciate those around us. I will hug my son extra tight tonight.
Ken Beckwith
TK/TC/BH 6555
70th Explorers Garrison

miss_grievous
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member
First Name: Rachael
Last Name: Norton
TK Number: 6984

Post by miss_grievous »

<3
Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies..... I make them.

TB-6984
Garrison 66 Official Cookie Maker
Garrison 66~501st Legion
standtrooper
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Orr
TK Number: 2030

Post by standtrooper »

I am petitioning the Legion to add a new prefix to posts involving children... I don't care what that prefix is, but if you're at all interested in keeping tears DON'T go to http://501stforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=41

Holy cow, I must have clicked on a few links and just when I thought it was over, oh no there's another link for an auction for another Children's Hospital...

Anyway, if you haven't cried today, might be a good time to visit the 501st Cares forums again.
Don't forget to "Give it up for a Trooper",

timo
TK-2030
StandTrooper
JLo Hoff Trooper
StandTrooper.com
70th Explorers
70thExplorers.com
501st Legion
www.501st.com