Would like to join but know NOTHING of costuming

Post your question, tips, or tutorials for all Star Wars related costumes here.
Mysma_Hachi
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison
First Name: Matthew
Last Name: Myslenski
TK Number: 0

Would like to join but know NOTHING of costuming

Post by Mysma_Hachi »

Good day all;

I live in Mission, KS. I'm a rabid star wars fan; have been my whole life. I also love the idea of service and helping others; I've been in the service industry or public protection my whole working life. I've wanted to join the 501st since I first heard about it years and years ago, but have never costumed, dont know the first thing about costuming, and am very intimidated by how amazing so many people's outfits look. Video's don't really cut it for me; I'm a hands on sort of guy.

HELP!

Does anyone ever have events or get togethers where they help n00bs like me learn to costume or build? Are there ways to buy any pieces that might be difficult to make, that are still considered official? Is there any other advice or help anyone can give? I saw the resource pin at the top, and I'll start to take a look, but I'd still love to know if there are armor parties to attend or kits I can buy or something else to help a never-costumed-before type of person like me

~Matt/Slynki/Mysma
IcyTrooper
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison
First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Schmuke
TK Number: 14631

Re: Would like to join but know NOTHING of costuming

Post by IcyTrooper »

Hey, Matt!

Various members do host armor parties which are what you describe where members and non-members get together to work on stuff, get help, share advice and have a good time! :D

Firehawk Squad is the KC region of the 70th Explorers so I'll see if I can get someone over here to give you a hello. Do you have a FB account as well? I know we have an armor group on there too.
---------------------
Ryan Schmuke
TK/TX/TI/IC/IG/TA/TS/TD/TR/BH-14631
70th Explorers GML
Spec Ops DL
Darth Gius
Commanding Officer
Commanding Officer
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Heffernan
TK Number: 8294

Post by Darth Gius »

Another great way is to get out to our events and introduce yourself! We can always use extra help we refer to as a 'handler'. This is our at times eyes/ears/helping hand to get around, get ready, or help with things along the way of an event. This is a great way to see what we do, how the costumes work, and to know your locals.
Rich Heffernan
TI/IC-8294
70th Explorers Garrison Commanding Officer

Gius Maximus
Rebel Legion - Dantooine Base Commanding Officer

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/richard.heffernan.3
Mysma_Hachi
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison
First Name: Matthew
Last Name: Myslenski
TK Number: 0

Post by Mysma_Hachi »

I do have facebook, and have joined the local star wars page for events, Walts (I have a tie outfit on the way), and Dantooine base, the local rebel scum ;-) My profile is https://www.facebook.com/slynki if you can invite me that would be great!