Winter Weather and your Power

This one is a free-for-all fun forum. Keep the conversation civil though!
TK5544
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member
First Name: Dru
Last Name: Felkins
TK Number: 5544

Winter Weather and your Power

Post by TK5544 »

Remember folks this is the time of year to watch out for falling limbs and power lines due to ice. Yes this is a public service announcement and I feel it is my obligation (as the electric guy) to put out this safety reminder. If you see a downed power line DO NOT go near it. Even though it may look dead chances are it is still live. Ice creates a barrier of insulation that keeps our safetys from engaging and the line actually stays on and hot. My company has sent 4 of our linemen to the sac osage cooperative in elderado missouri or around joplin which ever one they are needed at most right now. It is my understanding that that area got hit hard and reports are that there are over 5000 people off in two counties in rural missouri.

If your power goes off don't fret, but CALL YOUR POWER COMPANY. We actually want to know who is off and where because if you are the only person on a circuit you may not get turned back on if you dont call. Priority of course goes to the line that gets the most poeple on first but dont worry those linemen work hard long hours and they will get you on eventually. We dont stop here until the last person is on.

And remember if an ice storm hits chances are your not the only one off so if your neighbor or relative has power it may be best to go to their house for a while until your power is back on, so you dont get so cold your hand sticks to your armor. Also A suggestion is to run water SLOWLY out of a faucet when it is extremly cold so your pipes dont freeze I know its expensive but its less than repairing busted pipes, cause you wont have any heat, and besides you wont be using any power or gas so think of all the money you will be saving anyway.

If you have a generator be cautious of its use hook it up properly and kill your main breaker to your meter (if possible) because the load can travel both directions and transformers will work in reverse, meaning that your 240 being put out translates to 7620 on the other side of that transofmer on the main line, so the line men are in danger because they think that line is dead but your generator is actually powering the line on its own.

So those are my few safety tips I will bore you with and I just wanted to share. Power companys are on full alert right now and we are working to keep the lights on. keep safe and warm everyone and keep your local linemen in your thoughts as they climb those frozen icey poles to get your lights back on.
Last edited by TK5544 on Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dru Felkins
TK-5544
Central Garrison
Imperial 80th Squad
"Butt Trooper"
SL-3401 wrote:and if we all be quiet, we can see Butt Trooper in his natural habitat.
such a graceful species
TK-1161 Curt
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison
First Name: Curt
Last Name: Stanfill
TK Number: 1161

Post by TK-1161 Curt »

That was really thoughtful of you to post all that.

I knew there was a reason we all love the "Butt Troooper"

PS: Santa's watching you!
Curt Stanfill
TK-1161 / ID-1161 / DZ-1161
Gateway Squad
70th Explorers Garrison
kbfett
First Name: Ken
Last Name: Beckwith
TK Number: 6555

Post by kbfett »

Now we know....and knowing is half the battle!
Ken Beckwith
TK/TC/BH 6555
70th Explorers Garrison

timbremer
70th Explorers Garrison
70th Explorers Garrison
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Bremer
TK Number: 4290

ad

Post by timbremer »

that almost sounded like an ad for an electric company, do you work for one or what? ;)
Peace is a lie; there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall set me free.