Lucas Sues Brit Over 'Star Wars' Outfits

This one is a free-for-all fun forum. Keep the conversation civil though!
Vici Karke
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member
First Name: Karen
Last Name: Keen
TK Number: 7887

Post by Vici Karke »

OOC: I didnt know where to post this but read it on the yahoo page thought I should post it to let you all see if you havent yet. What are your thoughts on this?

:eek:

Tuesday April 8 1:46 PM ET

It's a storm in a Stormtrooper's helmet.

Lawyers for George Lucas' Lucasfilm Ltd. and a British prop designer faced off in London's High Court Tuesday over rights to the molded white Stormtrooper uniforms from the "Star Wars" films.

Standing alongside the bewigged, black-robed lawyers in court was the object of their dispute a 6-foot tall, helmeted warrior of the evil Galactic Empire. Lucasfilm attorney Michael Bloch called the menacing figure "one of the most iconic images in modern culture."

ADVERTISEMENT

Lucasfilm claims violation of copyright and trademarks by prop designer Andrew Ainsworth, who sculpted the Stormtrooper helmets for the first "Star Wars" movie in 1977. London-based Ainsworth sells replicas of the helmets and armor, which he says are made from the original molds, on his Web site.

Lucasfilm won a $20 million judgment against Ainsworth in a California court in 2006, and is seeking to have it enforced in Britain.

Ainsworth is countersuing, claiming the copyright rests with him and seeking a share of merchandising revenue from the six "Star Wars" films, which his lawyers estimate at $24 billion.

Lucasfilm and its lawyers claim the design of the Stormtroopers was created by Lucas and his artistic team, and was already in place by the time Ainsworth was hired to create the helmets.

"The look to be created had been worked on by a large team of people for perhaps more than a year," Bloch said at the start of the 10-day hearing.

Any extra security the Stormtroopers might provide wasn't sitting well with Judge Anthony Mann, who cast a glance at the silent props standing beside him.

"Are they going to stay there for the entire trial?" he asked.
DZ-7887

Come to the Dark Side. We have cookies & Bubbles! YAY!!!
Drago Lordist
501st Legion Member
501st Legion Member
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Schaeperkoetter
TK Number: 7221

Post by Drago Lordist »

huh. knew the british company was sueing LFL but I didn't know LFL countersued... glad they won at least...
Steve Schaeperkoetter - Albin's Head Generalissimo
RL/JA: Drago Lordist - KJO, WHP, RLSC
501st: DZ/IC/SL/SL/IC 7221 - GWL
Road Squadron
rebelbuttkicker
First Name: Greg
Last Name: Gentry
TK Number: 0

Post by rebelbuttkicker »

Muhahahahahaha! I wish I was there at the trial. Sounds like it was a little heated. :lol:
Incognito Trooper